Announcing Android app

vitasvitas Member, Administrator Posts: 1,364

We are happy to announce that our Android app is now available at Google Play Store

The app allows you to manage and show your photos on Zenfolio as well as upload new photos to your account.

You can also take a selection of photos from your account "to-go" so you can display them when the connection to the Internet is not available.

This is our first release on the Android platform, so more enhancements to the app, such as support for videos and in-person proofing, have already been planned.

You can install the app from the Google Play Store. 

Comments

• ZenBrianZenBrian Administrator Posts: 1,689
    Announcing v1.2.2 of the Zenfolio Android app!
    What's new?
    • Nexus 7 support!
    • Improved thumbnail display
    • Many crash/stability fixes
    • Clearing the cache within the app now works
    • Speed improvements
    • Bug fixes
    If you tried the original release and had issues, please try this updated version. We have fixed many crash bugs and improved performance.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cubesoft.zenfolio
    Thanks!

Brian
    Zenfolio Support

Check out my site! www.bussierephoto.com
  • Sherie_HSherie_H Member Posts: 29
    I've installed the app on my Motorola Xoom. However, when I try to sync, I get a synchronization error after only two photos sync. Any idea what could be causing it and what I can do?
    Thanks,
    Sherie

Edited to add: I uninstalled the app, reinstalled and just got another sync error. On the photos that it's sync'd, I'm getting a "Content protected by owner" screen instead of the photo.
  • EdZenEdZen Member, Administrator Posts: 76
    I have it working on my Xoom. Couple of things to try:

Have you updated your Xoom to the latest Android? (should be running Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean)
    Have you rebooted your Xoom since installing our app?
    Are you running the very latest version of our app? (should be v1.2.2 from the Play Store)
    Is your Wi-Fi connection solid? Sometimes if there's a connection dropout during a sync it causes it to fail. Try on a different network to be sure.

I have seen the "content protected by owner" message before, and a reboot gets me back in order when that happens. Not sure why that happens, but we're looking into it.

Hope this helps! Let us know if any of this works, or if you keep getting errors.
    Ed Caggiani
    Check out my photos at www.CaggianiPhoto.com
    I'm running ICS on my Xoom.
    Yes, I've rebooted
    Yes, I'm running the latest version. I downloaded it from the Play Store
    Yes, my Wi-Fi is good
    I no longer have the "content protected by owner" but I now get a "To-Go list synchronization error!" message when I try to sync.
    Hmm, do you get this error every time you sync? Have you tried syncing different galleries with fewer photos?
    The way To-Go syncing works is that the app will essentially download all the images to your device's SD card or internal memory so you won't have to download each photo individually while browsing your galleries. So this means you need to make sure your SD card or internal memory has enough space. I don't think that will be a problem for you since the Xoom has 32GB of internal memory, but it's just one other thing to check.
    Also, do you have an SD card in your Xoom? I know that the Xoom's SD card implementation is not the best and things run better from internal memory. Just another thought.
    Ed Caggiani
  • cwoodardcwoodard Member Posts: 1
    Will we eventually be able to make a blog post using the app? Would love to see that feature :)
    I am getting the error every time now, it doesn't matter if the galley is large or small.
    I have plenty of space on the Xoom and it's syncing to the internal memory.
    Any other suggestions would be welcome!
  • gotbobgotbob McHenry, MDMember Posts: 9
    It's not working on HTC Desire.  It freezes up and does not load the photos.  Some groups load but others get little red marks on them.  I tried refreshing and it gets frozen on the loading screen popup.  I tried to download a small gallery for offline viewing and got errors after two photos loaded.
    For those of you having issues on your specific device, let's escalate this to support@zenfolio.com so we can track your issue. You will be better served through our support system than through the forum when the solution seems to be a bit more than a quick fix.
    Also, if any of you get an error message with a button to report the problem, please do so. We receive those reports directly and they contain valuable information as to why the app crashed. We are monitoring those crash reports and working on fixes.
    With so many devices and carriers running Android, it is expected to have some issues, but rest assured that we will be working to resolve as many as we can over time. Thank you for your patience!
    Ed Caggiani
  • jphenneyjphenney Member Posts: 1
    How about a update to the app that allows you to save your login information.  That way you will not have to login every time you use the app.
  • driffertdriffert Member Posts: 37
    I agree.  It's a pain in the rear to have to login each time you want to view your galleries.  My iPad app doesn't do that
  • voitekvoitek Member Posts: 6
    Nice and clean design. I like this part. I find it a little bit slow in displaying images though.
    Also To-Go List doesn't make much sense as in order to use it one has to log in. Even if no internet connection is present. Am I missing something?
    The items on that list somehow always show as Never synchronized. I did it 3 times already and no changes have been made to the source folders.
    Could you look into that?
    I would like to use this app but for now I'm forced to rely on Google+
    Cheers
    We are currently working on an update to address many issues, some of which you mention. For example, there will be an option to stay logged in. [:)]
    For the To-Go list, when you add a folder to the list, you need to click the Sync button to synchronize the photos. Once they get synced, they reside on your device and should be viewable without a connection (though the login issue might prevent that in some cases).
    In any case, stay tuned for the update. No ETA at the moment, but rest assured we are working hard on improving the app and adding more features and improvements!

Ed Caggiani
  • bb3bb3 Member Posts: 4
     Hello.  The screenshots of the app look great.  I was disappointed; however, to find that Google Play will not allow your app to be installed on Kindle Fire tablets, and it is not available in the Amazon app store.  (there is a 3rd party Zenfolio app for sale at Amazon.)  I have enabled the option on the Kindle to allow the installation of apps from unknown sources, but still can't get it from Google.  Do you plan to make this app available for the Kindle Fire (and Kindle Fire HD), either through Amazon or providing a direct link for sideloading?
  • rustythegeekrustythegeek Member Posts: 6
     Running on a Galaxy SIII - App locks up constantly.  Not usable.  zFolio still works fine however.  I agree with other requests for persistent login, etc.  When the app did work, it took forever to respond to button press or change screens.  I also couldn't find anything in the app that allows configuration of where to direct/store downloaded pictures (like on the external microSD instead of internal memory).  Of course, I didn't get much time before the app would just go to a dark screen and lock me out which required me to force close it and try again.  I like my Galaxy SIII but it seems like a lot of the Android apps receive less attention to detail/features/stability compared to the iOS version apps of the same name.  Restrictive iPhone with better apps vs. Versatile and faster Galaxy Phone with worse apps.  Either way I can't seem to get things done the way I want.  Sigh...
    Sorry to hear about the issues you are having with the app, rustythegreek. We have users here with the SIII that do not have crashing problems. Just out of curiosity, are you using the international version of the SIII, or the U.S. version?
    An updated version of the app is in the works and should be ready in the coming weeks. Besides some new features, it should also include many bug/crash fixes. Hopefully this new version will resolve your issues.
    I understand the feeling that iOS apps tend to get more attention than Android apps in general. I have experienced that myself being an Android user. However, I am very focused on making sure the Zenfolio Android app breaks that stereotype. I am a die-hard Android fan and advocate, and take all your feedback seriously and make sure our developers know the problems you are having. As we continue to update the app, I hope we make it better and better with each new iteration.
    In the meantime, continue to send us bug reports through support and we'll keep working on them :-)
    Ed Caggiani
  • clickoftheshutterclickoftheshutter Member Posts: 14
    I'm using the app on my Nexus 7.  Just downloaded it and it's a brand new Nexus.  When I "download" a photo from one of my galleries, where is it putting it on the device?  It doesn't show up in my pre-installed Gallery app or in the Downloads app.
    [quote user="clickoftheshutter"]
    I'm using the app on my Nexus 7.  Just downloaded it and it's a brand new Nexus.  When I "download" a photo from one of my galleries, where is it putting it on the device?  It doesn't show up in my pre-installed Gallery app or in the Downloads app.

[/quote]
    Actually, it does download it to your downloads directory (on the Nexus 7 that should be storage/sdcard0/Download). The reason you're not seeing it in either the gallery or the Downloads app is because those apps don't refresh their indexes too often. A reboot might show them, or given enough time, they may show up.
    The new version of the Zenfolio app should hopefully fix this by calling the Android "media scanner" function after a download so the images should show up faster.
    Ed Caggiani
    [quote user="bb3"]
    Hello.  The screenshots of the app look great.  I was disappointed; however, to find that Google Play will not allow your app to be installed on Kindle Fire tablets, and it is not available in the Amazon app store.  (there is a 3rd party Zenfolio app for sale at Amazon.)  I have enabled the option on the Kindle to allow the installation of apps from unknown sources, but still can't get it from Google.  Do you plan to make this app available for the Kindle Fire (and Kindle Fire HD), either through Amazon or providing a direct link for sideloading?

[/quote]
    The app has been submitted to Amazon and we are now waiting for their approval. I'll post here when it goes live in Amazon's App Store.
    Ed Caggiani
     Big Ditto for the Barnes & Noble App Store (nook Tablet and Tablet HD+ coming soon)
    Our Android app is now available in the Amazon App Store! Here's the link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Zenfolio-Inc-myZenfolio/dp/B00A0XPGFQ/ref=sr_1_3
    Ed Caggiani
  • bb3bb3 Member Posts: 4
     Hello, Ed...I was very excited to receive your message about the Zenfolio app now being available in the Amazon app store; however, when I went to download it, I found that it stated that it was NOT compatible with my KindleFire. Is that correct...and, if so, any idea when we might see a version that will work with the KindeFire?  thanks.
    Thanks for the head's up. Amazon said it would be available for the Fire, so I'll have to find out why it's currently not. Sorry for the inconvenience!
    [quote user="bb3"]
     Hello, Ed...I was very excited to receive your message about the Zenfolio app now being available in the Amazon app store; however, when I went to download it, I found that it stated that it was NOT compatible with my KindleFire. Is that correct...and, if so, any idea when we might see a version that will work with the KindeFire?  thanks.

[/quote]

Ed Caggiani
     Ditto for the nook Tablet (nook Tablet HD+, etc)!  Please help the nook users out too.  Thanks.
    Looks like it works on the Kindle Fire HD right now, but has issues with the original Kindle Fire as well as the new Kindle Fire. Amazon only approved it for the HD after testing the app.
    Since the new version is nearly complete, we will have to resubmit it to Amazon anyway, so for now the current version is only available for the Kindle Fire HD.
    As for the Nook, I am looking into their submission process, but would need to do some testing on one first, meaning I'd have to hunt one down or provide the APK to someone that has one.
    Actually, here's a link to the current APK file (UPDATED to new v1.50) for anyone who wants to sideload it onto their device. NOTE: Installing this APK on an unsupported device is done at your own risk and Zenfolio does not provide support for anyone who installs this.
    Ed Caggiani
    Announcing the myZenfolio v1.5 Android app update!
    What's new in this version:
    • New feature: Quick Blog Post! Easily post your photos to your Zenfolio blog!
    • Added "Remember me" option to login screen.
    • UI improvements. Now uses standard Android action bar.
    • Huge speed improvements loading photos.
    • Downloaded photos now show up in Android's gallery.
    • Many crash/stability fixes.
    • Other bug fixes.
    Get it in the Google Play Store now! 
    Ed Caggiani
     Hi, I've noticed that you fixed the problem I reported earlier about not being able to use the app when in offline mode as it required a login. Right now, I can access app but when I go to To-Go list, it says that there's nothing there. I have to go then to a main menu which takes about 1 full minute and from there I select To-Go list and everything is there the way it should be in the first place. I found myself being embarassed on two occasions when trying to show something to my client and forgot about this issue. 1 minute is an eternity nowadays.
    Can you look into it?
    I use Samsung Google Nexus with the latest update of Jelly Beans.
    Voitek
    Hi, just got your new version of the mobile app. Works better but the startup takes ages. One interesting thing that your developers missed is when you go to the To-Go list and select 'Synch' button. Check what displays on the popup window above the 'Cancel' button. Two strings of random characters. Each about 30 characters long. It must have been for testing or something.
    Also, synchronization within an individual album doesn't seem to work properly. Just hangs there without any indication of advancing (I have only 6 pictures in one with only one that needed an update).
    I'm using Google Samsung Galaxy phone with the latest OS.
    Hope this helps
    Voitek
    Thanks for your feedback! We're not seeing the To-Go issues you mention on our devices. Maybe a fresh install might fix things for you. Try the following:

Load the app, go into settings, and clear the photo cache
    Uninstall the app from your device
    Reboot your phone
    Go to the Play Store and reinstall the app

We're working on another update of the app that should squash more bugs and increase performance for users with large photo collections. I'll be sure to announce the update when it's ready.
    [quote user="voitek"]
    Hi, just got your new version of the mobile app. Works better but the startup takes ages. One interesting thing that your developers missed is when you go to the To-Go list and select 'Synch' button. Check what displays on the popup window above the 'Cancel' button. Two strings of random characters. Each about 30 characters long. It must have been for testing or something.
    Also, synchronization within an individual album doesn't seem to work properly. Just hangs there without any indication of advancing (I have only 6 pictures in one with only one that needed an update).
    I'm using Google Samsung Galaxy phone with the latest OS.
    Hope this helps
    Voitek

[/quote] 
    Ed Caggiani
  • ricktakagiricktakagi Member Posts: 23
    The app seems to be working much better now but still has the image flicker when first coming up on the screen. Thanks for working so hard on this product. I would really like to use it in client presentations.

Rick