Zenfolio Image Quality

Hello, I am curious if anyone does their work on a macbook pro retina. I just got one the other day, I notice that zenfolio degrades the image quality by a lot when it is being viewed, however, if one chooses to download the original image, the image quality is perfect. Is it not possible to display the original image on zenfolio? This is really detering me from renewing my subscription when it ends next month...

Comments

• I am curious why this is not a bigger topic on the forum. I shoot portraits for a school where every kid got a MacBook Pr with retina. And their moms all use iPads. And another school with MacBook Air, which doesn't have retina...yet. Once the battery life is tackled, you're gonna see more retina displays? Right? And wouldn't zenfolio want to be positioned for this? Their reasoning for not supporting retina displays is really weird. Just ask them.
  • ZenBrianZenBrian Administrator Posts: 1,689
    This is in part due to browser scaling for the retina displays. If the browser displayed the images at the correct display image size with no scaling the images would look sharp, but the content would be small on the screen. If Zenfolio had larger display sizes to support the high ppi of the retina display, these display sizes would need to be much bigger. This then has image protection issues with visitors being able to take a screenshot of a much larger image and then possibly print from it. At the moment we don't have any immediate plans to introduce larger display sizes but are certainly looking into this. You can certainly go to our user voice forum page add your vote to this feature idea.
    Thanks!

Brian
    Zenfolio Support

Check out my site! www.bussierephoto.com
  • I just signed up for a $250/yr membership. I use a PC, of course, to manage my portfolio. My latest image comes up very blocky on my iPad 4 at all resolutions. Now looking at others on the iPad I see they have the same is issue.

I thought I'd found a portfolio site that et me concentrate on photography, not web page creation.

Zenfolio, the appearance of my images on an iPad 4 retina display is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! If there is no resolution to this I will be canceling my subscription and moving on.
  • Mark Tassoni PhotographyMark Tassoni Photography PAMember Posts: 37
    yeah, this is still not resolved? weird.
    Seriously, look at the thumbnail display of Pixieset, for example...It's where you need to be, Zenfolio! Your backend is so much better than any of your competitors. I mean it's not even close. But, geez, you have some weird design choices. I am really hoping to see a change in the next month.
  • Agreed that this is a serious issue. Zenfolio sites look terrible when viewed with a retina display. And the retina/high resolution displays are not going away. This needs to be resolved quick, otherwise I won't be renewing my subscription either.
  • I totally agree. This has become a big issue for me. My clients are even asking why their images are so blurry.
  • rmendisrmendis Member Posts: 26
    This is a persistent problem with Zenfolio, and it's only getting worse as more people use retina level (high PPI) displays. Zenfolio's max image size is simply not large enough to render images at reasonable quality on modern displays, and it is even worse in the iOS app on new iPads.

It is 2016, and for a premium online photo service, this is now inexcusable. If this is not remedied soon, I will have to look for another provider.
  • Geografpix PhotographyGeografpix Photography Member Posts: 164
    The problem with image size is that as soon as its large enough to look great on a high ppi display it also becomes good enough resolution that anyone can readily steal the photographer's work by simply copying and printing the image off the screen.

There's no easy answer but I for one will stick to small low resolution images to reduce that problem.

An idea for Zenfolio could be to provide a system that lets photographers add one image at high resolution to each gallery while keeping all the rest at a lower resolution. That would allow photographers to provide one sacrificial (as in don't care too much if it gets stolen) image so customers can see the quality of the work before choosing from all the others for their purchases. Of course that wouldn't work for everyone either so ultimately Zenfolio needs to provide choices so each photographer can choose what display resolution and formats suit their particular business.
  • Kevin KrowsKevin Krows United StatesMember Posts: 1,451
    Users asked and have overwhelmingly voted on support for higher resolution displays like Retina. Only one problem, we asked for it on July 18, 2012 and it's been under review since September 10, 2012. Yep, almost 4 years ago this was address.

The good news is that we got two worthless upgrades to the dashboard that we didn't ask for as the original dashboard was perfect and didn't need to be revised. We have also got many more features that we didn't ask for many of which were deployed without any advanced warning.

This type of behavior is not how you build a strong business partnership with your customers.

The problem with image size is that as soon as its large enough to look great on a high ppi display it also becomes good enough resolution that anyone can readily steal the photographer's work by simply copying and printing the image off the screen.

That's what watermarks are for.
  • Kevin KrowsKevin Krows United StatesMember Posts: 1,451
    I am 100% sure that @Geografpix Photography is aware of what watermarks are used for. You took his comments out of context. You have to read his entire post to understand his point and suggestion that he was making. In particular... "Zenfolio needs to provide choices so each photographer can choose what display resolution and formats suit their particular business."

I am 100% sure that @Geografpix Photography is aware of what watermarks are used for. You took his comments out of context. You have to read his entire post to understand his point and suggestion that he was making. In particular... "Zenfolio needs to provide choices so each photographer can choose what display resolution and formats suit their particular business."

Just pointing it out. Not taking anything out of context. Yes - I agree options are needed.
  • Claude BadetClaude Badet Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2016
    Two questions:

Is there a place on Zenfolio where this feature (on choice higher PPI) can be requested?
    Also I found this post:
    forums.zenfolio.com/discussion/12380/difference-in-sharpness-between-the-same-photo-uploaded-to-different-web-sites
    As photographers complaining about this issue is there a centralized post where all those comments could be viewed (and taking into consideration by Zenfolio hopefully).

What sharpening and resolution workflow do you implement on your images? (size in pixel of image + sharpening)
    The reason I am asking is because I tested different photo web hosting services and I found that for a same image
    on Zenfolio it appear unsharp and muddy while on the others I tested it appear over sharpened.

Post edited by Claude Badet on
  • Zenfolio, why can't you just add the option to display higher resolution files if wanted???
  • BRAUNphotographyBRAUNphotography Member Posts: 3
    Zenfolio... it's been years now. We're more than ready to have HiDPI support. Please.
  • An option would be good, but then some people I know, have poor internet reception (through no fault of their own) So I wouldn't want people sitting there waiting for images to load up. Personally, if I am trying to look at a website and end up waiting for images to load, I come away from that website and don't look any further.
  • grupp & rose photographygrupp & rose photography Member Posts: 1
    edited June 4
    Obviously, high resolution should be an option, not forced on everyone. But I'm in the middle of trying to retain a wedding client who thinks I'm a boob and her engagement photos are all unsharp. That's because the maximum size of images displayed in Zenfolio's galleries is 1550x950 pixels.

Compare this to the resolution of an iPhone 6plus at 1,920 x 1,080, an iPad Retina at 2,048 x 1,536, a MacBook Pro at 2,880 x 1,800, or a 27" iMac 5K at 5120x2880 pixels. If the client looks at an image in a Zenfolio gallery full-screen, or tries to zoom in, they will reasonably conclude that the photographer doesn't understand how to make sharp photos. And how ironic that the most quality-sensitive clients, who purchase hi-res devices because they love photography, are the most likely to be presented with inferior resolution photos. I wonder how many clients I've lost over the last few years because they conclude I'm a lousy photographer, based on Zenfolio's presentation of my work?

And this is just looking at basic resolution. I believe there are additional issues with Retina displays, which are becoming increasingly ubiquitous across the entire Apple product line.

Telling people to just download the originals is inelegant, confusing, and frankly gets old fast. And honestly, if thats the answer, why not just use Dropbox instead of Zenfolio? My clients need to be able to zoom into a full resolution display, and it gets more critical as monitor resolutions climb.

Need to fix soon or this long/term client will reluctantly seek greener pastures.
    Post edited by grupp & rose photography on