Do you try to get the entire shot perfect in camera or do you shoot more with ‘intent to process’?

ZenBrianZenBrian Administrator Posts: 1,689
With the power of post-processing software these days, there seems to be less concern for doing things correctly in-camera. Between colors, dust, folds, lines, shadows, makeup, HDR, filters, compositing and even lighting adjustments, the limits of post-production are seemingly endless. There is definitely something to be said for not spending hours in front of the computer, though. Often times, 5 - 10 minutes of adjustments during the shoot can save hours of pixel pushing on the back end. Whether or not you fine tune things yourself or have a stylist helping, do you try to get the entire shot perfect in camera or do you shoot more with ‘intent to process’?

Do you try to get the entire shot perfect in camera or do you shoot more with ‘intent to process’? 44 votes

In camera (it makes life so much easier)
52% 23 votes
As long as the main subject is perfect, Post can do the rest.
4% 2 votes
Somewhere in the middle
43% 19 votes
Thanks!

Brian
Zenfolio Support

Check out my site! www.bussierephoto.com

Comments

• portraitistportraitist Member Posts: 31
    Having trained as a photog pre-digital, habits are strongly geared to getting the image as close as possible during the shoot. Computer editing, while very robust, should be as quick as possible.
  • gazfygazfy Hessen, GermanyMember Posts: 142
    In camera as much as possible. I'd rather be shooting than sitting in front of the pc! :-)
    Gary.
    My website
    Looking to join/upgrade? Ref code for a discount 9AW-DR5-2JZ
  • GDMKGDMK Member Posts: 56
    I always aim to get the exposure right but will frame appropriately for a later crop if I cant get into the exact position to fully remove a distracting element. If the lighting is really tricky I like to get 5 shots spaced 1 stop apart so I can play with the final look in post.
  • LauCaPhotLauCaPhot Member Posts: 4
    Since I shoot RAW, which need to be developped in the computer, I have to spend time on the computer anyway (but far less than the time I used to spend in the darkromm when developping the négatives). However I always try to get the correct exposure and the correct framing when shooting. For framing, it's sometimes difficult to get it corrrect (in sports, for example). In this case I do it a bit larger, knowing I 'll adjust it later.
  • I still shoot film exclusively. I prefer to get it right in the camera. My partner shoot digital, but she makes the effort, and usually succeeds at getting it right in the camera too.
  • StephenZenStephenZen Administrator Posts: 607
    I always try to get it right in the camera as well, and I mostly shoot digital.

If I can avoid sitting behind a computer any more than I have to, I'm all about that. For me the fun with photography is actually getting out there and shooting.
  • WildPlanet PhotosWildPlanet Photos Member Posts: 17
    I want a picture that will be a solid foundation for processing, not the other way around. So I try to ensure subject, background and light all work and if they don't I try to avoid clicking. Sometimes I know I will be cropping a lot, thats OK, but there still has to be a photograph that is fundamentally good in some way.
  • If you're in Aperture Priority mode, the camera will figure that out for you.
  • vue.photovue.photo Member Posts: 2
    It all depends on what your style and objective is. I do a lot of family and model shoots and theatre shoots, in a very cinematographic way. I could set up multiple flash units, which would take me a lot of time per shot. So what I do, is take the shot with the exposure for the model, and then enhance shadow parts in Lightroom. Very easy to do, less time spent on site.