Out of all the different ways to aid your SEO, is there one thing do you always do, no matter what?

ZenBrianZenBrian Posts: 1,689
SEO is a hot, yet touchy, subject. Many people have very different views on what works best, but there are some things that everyone can agree on. Good titles, captions, and keywords can definitely help boost your exposure. Using Alt Tags is an often under-used feature that can be of great benefit. Meta Descriptions are important for some pages, though arguably not all (as noted by Matt Cutts, Google’s head of Webspam). Relevant and visible content, along with constant new content can also help. On the other hand, it’s widely accepted that things like duplicate content and keyword stuffing can be quite harmful to SEO. Visibility in the search engines is a huge part of any online business. Out of all the different ways to aid your SEO, is there one thing do you always do, no matter what?

Out of all the different ways to aid your SEO, is there one thing do you always do, no matter what? 26 votes

Title my images
3% 1 vote
Use Alt Tags
11% 3 votes
Keyword (paying attention to keyword stuffing)
30% 8 votes
Use Captions
3% 1 vote
Meta Descriptions
0% 0 votes
Blog, the new content is key
19% 5 votes
Backlink back to my site from others
7% 2 votes
I always do all of these, plus some
15% 4 votes
I don’t pay much attention
7% 2 votes
Thanks!

Brian
Zenfolio Support

Check out my site! www.bussierephoto.com

Comments

• GDMKGDMK Posts: 56
    Being quite new to websites, google rank, seo and all that goes with it, all i can say is seo - bleeuurrgghhh!!!
    I view it like dentists - a necessary evil, I dont like them but need them (sorry to any dentists out there!!) X_X

I think I might have committed most of the seo faux pas over the last 12 months in my naivety to 'do seo'.

I think I will be aged about 493 before all the ranking penalties get removed.

Seriously though, seo is pretty much a black art. We spend loads of time as photographers creating fantastic images and hosting them on great sites, but if you screw your seo up, it can be a massive problem.

Only yesterday I found another simple issue that was inadevertently (potentially) hurting my ranking. It took me all day to go through and resolve. :((

At the end of the day, all of the points mentioned (bar the last) help, but each have their own hidden traps and are the subject of pages of 'how to' guides on the interweb.

• Relevant links to and from my site! From what I understand this is one of the most critical aspects of SEO, along with *relevant* keywords.
  • EvanChungPhotographyEvanChungPhotography San Francisco Bay AreaPosts: 18
    edited February 2014
    Staying current with blogging has been key, but also linking back on facebook to those blog posts has been super helpful. It drives people to my site to keep exploring rather than getting detoured by other facebook distractions.
    www.EvanChungPhoto.com