With as many things in life (and work) that can go wrong, do you have insurance for your business?

ZenBrianZenBrian Administrator Posts: 1,689
Insurance is a necessary evil for any business, including photography. Earlier this year there was a Photographers Corner blog post that covered several types of insurance and some good places to get it. Accidents happen and things break - so goes life! Insurance can help you deal with these incidents without breaking the bank with out-of-pocket costs. Many photographers have stories either wishing they had insurance, or very glad they had it. With all of the different policies available, and the several types of coverage out there for your business, do you have insurance? Which type of coverage suits your needs best? Have you ever needed to use your insurance? Tell us your story!

With as many things in life (and work) that can go wrong, do you have insurance for your business? 14 votes

I have photographers / business insurance
28% 4 votes
I use my renters/homeowners for basic coverage
28% 4 votes
I'm thinking about it
35% 5 votes
I don’t have any
7% 1 vote

Zenfolio Support

Check out my site! www.bussierephoto.com


  • EvanChungPhotographyEvanChungPhotography San Francisco Bay AreaMember Posts: 18
    A buddy of mine wrote this great article for the Zenfolio blog on insurance for your photography business. Check it out when you get a chance.
  • portraitistportraitist Member Posts: 31
    Most of my equipment is covered by renters insurance. I would love to have comprehensive business insurance, but it is just not affordable at the moment.
  • Project MemorableProject Memorable Houston, TXMember Posts: 1
    I use Hill and Usher as I just don't trust home/renters insurance to cover everything. I believe most people think it's going to cost a fortune to cover yourself and your gear but the first task is to call and get a quote. My most favorite thing is to be covered for error and omission. I'm pretty sure home/renters insurance doesn't cover you if you lose a memory card or your files get corrupted.
  • Kevin KrowsKevin Krows United StatesMember Posts: 1,461
    Most homeowners policies won't cover business losses that they don't consider to be "casual business pursuits." If it's anything more than that, you will need to pony up and wear big boy and big girl pants and purchase commercial policies. One for your equipment and the other for liability. Average cost for both range from $500-$1000 depending on how much gear you want covered at replacement cost. Don't insure equipment at ACV (actual cash value) as you will get screwed by being forced to purchase trashed out equipment.
  • lumigraphicslumigraphics Member Posts: 8
    I pay around $500 a year for liability and equipment coverage. I had a break-in last April, took six weeks but they sent me $7200 for my losses. So, yeah, worth the premiums.
Sign In or Register to comment.