Noise Reduction

Didn't see this topic anywhere, so I'll start it...
Looking for recommendations from everyone regarding their preferred noise reduction software. If you have something you use and like, let me know. I'm primarily using Adobe PS CS6 and LightRoom 5.1. So, if there is a stand alone product that works with these or if it's an add-in, let me know.

Thanks
Stuart

Comments

• stevejstevej Member Posts: 73
    To be honest I find Lightroom as good as anything else that I've tried (and I've tried a few) - using LR 5.3.

I tend to use the NR sliders in conjunction with the clarity slider - there is a lot of trial and error involved though
    My Zenfolio/Wordpress website: http://theminimalistphotographer.com
  • Stroodle88Stroodle88 White Salmon, WAMember Posts: 90
    Same as above. Generally use LR 5 to remove noise and I find that it does a pretty good job of it. For comparison, I generally shoot family portraits/weddings with a Canon 5D Mark II and am *generally* happy with photos at 1600 ISO. 3200 ISO and I'm starting to tweak in LR 5 and at 6400 ISO, LR starts to do an artificial smoothing I'm generally not a fan of. That said, it still does a good job of removing noise; it just does so in a way that make my subjects look a bit plastic.
    Bertrand Hui
    Bertrand Hui - Lifestyle Photographer
    Based in the Columbia River Gorge, Pacific Northwest
  • John Watson Photography LSWPPJohn Watson Photography LSWPP Southampton, UKMember Posts: 111
    stevej said:

To be honest I find Lightroom as good as anything else that I've tried (and I've tried a few) - using LR 5.3.

I tend to use the NR sliders in conjunction with the clarity slider - there is a lot of trial and error involved though

agree, LR5 does a really good job. Didn't know 5.3 was out yet ?

• Nicky JamesonNicky Jameson TorontoMember Posts: 107
    I use Sagelight because it allows a lot of fine tuning. I dislike the loss of definition that often comes with reducing noise and on the odd occasion when I do noise reduction Sagelight works very well.
  • alejandroceppiphotographyalejandroceppiphotography Buenos Aires, ArgentinaMember Posts: 38
    I used to use Noise Ninja to apply further noise reduction to my tiff files when necessary once developed from Raw, or to my jpg files (to the ones which I take with one of my cameras which does not deliver the files in raw format, just jpg). Noise Ninja (which used to be a standalone program exclusively devoted to noise reduction) is not being updated any more as it was (Picture Code developed and is now only selling a Raw converter program).

Now I am normally just applying noise reduction when developing my Raw files. Most of the time I use DxO Optics Pro (now and again I use some other program). DxO Labs added to version 9 of their program a “Prime” noise reduction function which works in a slower manner than does their standard noise reduction function but does a very good job (one can opt to apply one or the other noise reduction function).

I use Sagelight because it allows a lot of fine tuning. I dislike the loss of definition that often comes with reducing noise and on the odd occasion when I do noise reduction Sagelight works very well.

I bought Sagelight. It is very affordable for the time being and when I first tried the program, it seemed to me that it had a very interesting approach to photo editing. Now and again I have been trying to use it but I always end up giving up. For example, it seems not to recognize the icc profile for my monitor (the one which is created every time I do a monitor calibration) and I have not found a way to tell the program to use a profile different than RGB or a sRGB color space profile (which I suppose is what the program is just being able to recognize). Do you know Nicky if there is some way with Sagelight so as to do any color management setting up? (nothing of the kind is shown in “General Settings” and I have not found any menu named “Color Management”, “Color Settings” or anything like that nor any soft-proofing function).
    I don't think there is any way to change it in SageLight unfortunately. You might like to have a look at a program called ACDSee Pro 7. There are definitely colour management options in this program under Tools. Check out the trial.
    What I like most about Sage Light is how it allows me to save maximum file sizes and choose the size and quality, which for RAW files is important as I print images. I also like the colour manipulation it offers (though granted it's RGB). It has some limitations (it doesn't do batching or workflow) but for the price I find it excellent value and a good Light Room 5 alternative. You may like ACDSee even better.
  • Leigh MillerLeigh Miller Member Posts: 2
    Lightroom is currently the most comprehensive and easy to use (properly). I used Canon cameras for many years before changing platforms. Noise shouldn't be an issue until ISO 3200 and even then it's usually a quick slide of the Luminance and Detail sliders to bring it back into spec.
  • alejandroceppiphotographyalejandroceppiphotography Buenos Aires, ArgentinaMember Posts: 38
    edited January 2014

I don't think there is any way to change it in SageLight unfortunately. You might like to have a look at a program called ACDSee Pro 7. There are definitely colour management options in this program under Tools. Check out the trial.

Thank you Nicky for your input and advice. I already have ACDSee pro 7 and I do like it. It is great for managing my files and I like how it allows you to adjust or edit colour. I also like the way in which you can develop raw files with it (for photos for which there is no need to make any lens´ distortion correction for which cases DxO is the indisputable champion).

I also have a version of Photoshop, Elements 9, Serif PhotoPlus x6 (and previous versions), Corel AfterShot Pro, Corel Paint pro x5 (and previous version) and DxO Optics Pro and Sagelight as I already mentioned (all legit) and RawTherapee (free one) plus several plugins and standalones which serve different purposes. I enjoy trying photo editing software and I allow myself to buy one now and again. I have used them all to edit photos (all the photos I exhibit have been processed with one or the other), for the exception of Sagelight, with which I have just been fiddling around. I like Sagelight, it seem very powerful (and original), but as I have my monitor calibrated (using i1Pro from x-rite), it doesn´t allow me to see the colours of my photos as they should be shown.

From all those programs I mentioned I like the most (for the time being) and use now more often: DxO Optics Pro which has a very effective noise reduction function as I already mentioned and which I prefer to CameraRaw (never tried Lightroom though), ACDSee Pro and Corel Paint Shop Pro (which I prefer to PhotoShop although I recognize is not as powerful and which is much better than Elements which does not allow serious editing with 16 bits per channel files, does not allow control of curves, etc…., etc…).

Corel AfterShot Pro allows me to use Noise Ninja within it (not as a plug in but as one of the functions which comes with the program as it allows you to use their standard noise reduction function or their included Noise Ninja function if you already own a license for what was their denoising program), but I don´t give much use to Corel AfterShot.

Post edited by alejandroceppiphotography on
  • eternalformseternalforms Member Posts: 67
    My favorite software for noise reduction is Noiseware by Imagenomic. It does a great job of removing noise without compromising sharpness. I run Noiseware on all of my images just before I run my edge mask sharpening (initial sharpening step).
  • iMAGES by JJLADiMAGES by JJLAD Member Posts: 8
    I'm with the LR crowd but I tend to go very easy on the NR overall, then use a brush selectively to do the rest.
  • Steven Hargrove PhotographySteven Hargrove Photography Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2014
    I am completely sold on the NIK Collection, now sold through Google. The software was designed by the folks at Pixel Genius, where folks like Jeff Schewe (from The Luminous Landscape website) worked. They designed all the modules & eventually sold them to Adobe, who a while ago sold them to Google. So if you like LR NR, you're already using a scaled-down version of the NIK program! This is a suite of tools that do everything from noise reduction to b&w conversion to capture, creative & output sharpening to local area toning & more. The noise reduction module is called Dfine2 & is incredibly powerful. It can perform overall noise reduction or local area noise reductions. It also comes with a set of custom filters for specific circumstances, like just removing noise from large areas of sky, for example. You can tweak images to your hearts delight, or use the automatic settings. The suite integrates with both LR & PS, so you can use it in both. As you'd expect, using it in PS creates a new layer, so you can use all the tweaks available to PS layers to customize the effects to your liking. For a one-time purchase price of $149.00 for all 7 modules, it's a steal. I use something from this suite on every one of my images. I really can't say enough positive things about this suite of tools, and it has become an integral part of my workflow.