Zenfilio blog vs Wordpress blog

Would like to get your opinions on the above. I've just updated my site with the new presets and am at a crossroads with moving forward with a blog. I'm trying to determine if it makes more sense to continue using the free wordpress blog I have or to switch everything over to zenfilio.

There are I'm sure many pros and cons to this. Would like to get some of your perspective.

Thanks,
Dave

Comments

• sarahashleyphotossarahashleyphotos Member Posts: 208
    I have had both and it may be because my zenfolio domain and website have been up for much longer it gets way more hits than my wordpress site did. I found seo with wordpress to be much more difficult and my zen site is on the first or second page of many of the searches that I have aimed for. My blog posts on zen (complete with the location and/or name of the venue) get clicked on a lot in searches. Personally I think it looks better when your blog is a part of your website rather than sending them someplace else. I don't know if there is a easy way for you to switch posts over though? Maybe someone else can give some info on that.
  • Thanks for the feedback. I'm not too worried about transferring the posts. I'm more concerned about page rankings and exposure. I know if the past if you cross linked this improved results.

Using only one platform is does have a lot of benefits. The nice thing about WP though is there are apps that allow you to create update and manage this. Right now, I don't believe zenfolio does. Not a deal breaker.

Still looking for other thoughts and experiences on this.

Thanks
  • Nicky JamesonNicky Jameson TorontoMember Posts: 107
    I have been blogging for a few years... since 2006. I just wrote a reply to someone else that asked about blogging so don't want to repeat it all... but I would never have a zen blog as my only blog. For one thing as it's owned by a third party your blog is subject to whatever that third party decides to do. I started blogging with with Wordpress.com and in 6 months I outgrew its restrictions and moved to self-hosted WordPress and never looked back. WordPress.com isn't that great for business, but if you want someone else to take care of everything but adding content, wp.com is the answer. Wordpress (self hosted) is wonderfully customizable, you can extend it with plugins if you want and it's certainly much better for seo than Zenfolios blog in that if you work at it and produce great content Google will find your blog. Wordpress is a little more work to take care of but you have the freedom to do what you want (not be bound limitations). My main blog is on Wordpress of course... but I also have a Zen Blog... I use them a bit differently.
  • sarahashleyphotossarahashleyphotos Member Posts: 208
    I should add that my wordpress was self hosted.
    I'm curious about what these limitations are? Personally i dont see any. I'm able to sort posts into categories by tagging and linking the tag searches in the welcome header. & you can add photos/links to the sidebar/footer. SEO is great and i have blog posts on the first and second pages of searches that I'm aiming for.
  • Thanks for your comments and feedback. Would like to hear what others think as well.
  • Ambiance StudiosAmbiance Studios Member Posts: 6
    I'm thinking I'm going to go back to wordpress, can't add my other logos with links like PPA and awards and stuff.
  • ZenBrianZenBrian Administrator Posts: 1,689
    edited March 2014
    @ Ambiance Studios

You can add whatever content you want into a blog post, including your own HTML code. While custom code is not supported by Zenfolio, you can click either the Embed button in the toolbar, or the HTML button in the toolbar to add your own code.

Alternatively, simply add a picture of the button to the page, and use the Set Options > Click Action > Go To URL and add in the url you want to direct to.
    Thanks!

Brian
    Zenfolio Support

Check out my site! www.bussierephoto.com
  • John Watson Photography LSWPPJohn Watson Photography LSWPP Southampton, UKMember Posts: 111
    I did run a wp and a zen blog side by side for a short while, but I got too lazy to update them both (LOL) , so switched off the Wp one and just used the zen. agree with others that WP is a lot more customizable and a better dedicated blog, but do you really want to run 2 sites ? having to get people to swop between sites?
    zen seems fine to me.
    Thanks ZENBrian, I got it to work, thank you so much!!
    Thanks Chubbyspud
  • joseph smithjoseph smith Member Posts: 6
    I have many words for this topic but don't have time to write but I have the source from where you can read and can take the right decision.
    source
    ReviewsDir