What’s the most important part of your culling workflow?

ZenBrianZenBrian Administrator Posts: 1,689
Culling your images after a shoot can be quite the chore, but a necessary evil. Showing botched exposures or blurry images to your clients can leave a very negative or amateur impression. On a post-production side, if the focus is a bit off or someone is blinking in a shot, it could mean more work for you in the long run. At the same time, not enough culling can leave too many images, which can also be overwhelming for a customer. While no two shoots are the same, the type of shoot will influence the number of final images (i.e. weddings vs headshots vs product shots). Regardless of that final number, with your final image set in mind, what’s the most important part of your culling workflow? What process do you have, and why does it work for you? If you're on the edge of keeping an image in or removing it, which do you do?

what’s the most important part of your culling workflow? 22 votes

The editing program – it has specific tools I need
40% 9 votes
The rating system – colors, stars, numbers, or any combination therein
31% 7 votes
The final number goal – I only allow X amount of images to be viewed
4% 1 vote
The client- They can do the culling for me so I upload everything
0% 0 votes
A combination of the above
9% 2 votes
There's something else to culling that's more important...
13% 3 votes
Thanks!

Brian
Zenfolio Support

Check out my site! www.bussierephoto.com

Comments

• portraitistportraitist Member Posts: 31
    I'd be lost without my lightroom!
  • steven_steven_ Member Posts: 37
    Options one and two I would argue are the same. I'd also be lost without Lightroom, it just works. In Lightroom, quickly scan and pick selections, then followed by ratings starting with 1, then maybe 2 etc. until I have my required number of images. Then tweak.
  • EvanChungPhotographyEvanChungPhotography San Francisco Bay AreaMember Posts: 18
    edited February 2014
    The combination of PhotoMechanic to cull and then LR to edit is my tried and true workflow. I can cull in LR too with similar tools but not having to wait for the preview to render in PhotoMechanic saves so much time once this workflow is all set up. I love it!
    www.EvanChungPhoto.com
  • Kevin KrowsKevin Krows United StatesMember Posts: 1,453
    PhotoMechanic to cull, LR to process, then PhotoMechanic to upload (using loose non-destructive crops and resizing).
  • Lightroom does #1 & 2. #4 is true but only for images I have already culled once. They never see "everything", but will get an allowance of number of choices.