When exposing your shots, do you use an external meter or rely only on the camera/histogram?

ZenBrianZenBrian Posts: 1,689
Properly metering light is integral to nailing down the correct exposure, and there’s no shortage of equipment to help you do so. With film especially, Incident and Spot meters come in handy when using the in-camera light meter isn’t a reliable option. Digitally however, histograms can be used to do effectively the same thing. Some photographers no longer use (or have never used) external light meters, since they can simply look at the histogram to see if they have the exposure they want. When exposing your shots, which method for you is tried and true? Do you have and use an external meter, or rely on the camera/histogram?

When exposing your shots, do you use an external meter or rely only on the camera/histogram? 15 votes

An external spot and/or incident meter
13% 2 votes
The in-camera meter and the histogram
40% 6 votes
Both
40% 6 votes
Neither
6% 1 vote
Thanks!

Brian
Zenfolio Support

Check out my site! www.bussierephoto.com

Comments

• For the most accurate results, I still use a spot meter and then double check the histogram to make sure.
  • SpikeNagelSpikeNagel FloridaPosts: 2
    Light meter in studio, seldom when in outdoor light.
  • James Lout PhotographyJames Lout Photography Tucumcari, NMPosts: 5
    Once I got a hand held meter, I couldn't imagine shooting without it. Spot on exposure before you even release the shutter. I use my strobes indoors and out, not a fan of only natural light, so now, my Sekonic L-478DR light meter will always be a part of every shoot.