Blog Content too large?

I just got this error message:
Blog post's content is too large. It cannot exceed 100KB.

Why is there a content limit?

Comments

• I just got the same error. Can someone please elaborate on this error. Which specific content has exceeded a limit and how can I adjust content to meet the limit? There does not appear to be any indication of content size on my blog edit page/interface so how do I know when I'm near the limit?
  • I've got the same problem - 100kb must be an error because thats less than one photo and I've already done blog posts with loads of photos in them. Whats happening Zenfolio?
  • ZenBrianZenBrian Administrator Posts: 1,689
    For Blog pages and Custom pages, the 100KB size limit is the size of the HTML code, not referring to the individual photo sizes. Every line of code and formatting choice adds to the pages file size, and 100KB of pure text is quite a bit for a single page or post.

If you do run into this limit, it's recommended to split the post up into two separate posts.
    Thanks!

Brian
    Zenfolio Support

Check out my site! www.bussierephoto.com
  • Diva MultimediaDiva Multimedia Member Posts: 1
    We're a sports photography company, and this limit has made it virtually impossible to utilize the blog. Even splitting up games into two posts doesn't rectify the issue.
  • This limit is ridiculous, please remove it. I am a wedding photographer and need to be able to post a good summary of the wedding day next to the photos. Please remove this limit pronto. Thanks!
  • Kevin KrowsKevin Krows United StatesMember Posts: 1,457
    There are alternatives using third party blog sites and then setting the navigation link off your web site to point at it and then open in a new browser window (so your client never leaves you main site).

The Zenfolio Blog features are pretty basic and have many limitations. However, hosting a Blog site isn't really the main focus of Zenfolio. I know the developers understand the importance of Blogging and will improve or add features over time. Until then, if your business needs are more than what Zenfolio has to offer I would suggest looking at blog solutions that you can integrate into your Zen site. I know this will cost you more money ($100-$150 year) but might be worth the investment if your business depends on it.

When Zenfolio makes the changes you require, you can simply change back. However, that may be a bit painful as I'm not sure how easy it would be to migrate older blog posts. You'll just have to make that decision.

Suggestions:

Square Space
    Word Press

edited April 2015
    @ Diva Multimedia - I'm a full time sports photographer myself. I've visited your web site and looked at your "On the Sidelines" Blog. Not trying to be critical or tell you how to run your business, but you might want to rethink how you use your Blog to create interest and build traffic to your web site. Using it to display 20-30 images from each game you shoot might not be the best use of your Blog. It certainly does nothing for SEO.

While I'm not a Blog expert, some of the best blogs I have seen over the years only have one picture per entry. The photographers use the blog to tell the story behind the picture in a couple of paragraphs making sure to use team names, cities, sports, etc. in the story to add to the SEO value. They also do a great job of tagging to further enhance SEO as well.

If the story (blog entry) relates to a particular game or event they have shot, they include a hyperlink to the gallery where the reader can see more images from the game.

You can visit my site at www.kevinkrows.com to see and view my blog. Certainly I need to do a better job of keeping up with my entries but at least you can see how I use it. Even though it's not where I would like it to be, it does drive readership, promotes good will with the athletes and teams I cover, and does enhance sales. I recently had a parent of the Blog Entry "Go The Distance" purchase a framed print from me and wanted the article included along with my signature on it.

Hope this gives you a few ideas to think about.
    Post edited by Kevin Krows on
  • 100KB is not very big, why is the limit so small? I just tried to publish a blog, that is really not all that text heavy and got this error message? Is there a work around?
    Sure ... get a full featured blog site (like Word Press) and integrate it into your Zenfolio Site. The focus of Zenfolio is not Blogging but rather web and gallery hosting. In fact when I joined over three years ago I was very impressed that they even had a blog feature at all.
  • Larissa GreenoLarissa Greeno Member Posts: 1
    This is nuts. I pay for an account with you so that everything was under one roof. Not to divert my blog elsewhere. 100KB doesn't allow for any SEO at all. I can't alt tag images. I didn't have this problem a few months ago I am sure.. as now I can't even centre my images as the script is too large. Very grrr
    edited January 2016
    "I pay for an account with you so that everything was under one roof." Larissa, you don't pay me anything. I'm on your side. Don't shoot the messenger.

I guess the point that I have tried to make is that the blogging needs of many photographers is much more demanding than it's ever been. Many are moving 100% to services that specialize in Blogging and are robust and feature rich. Those that don't, are handling their blogs outside of their main web sites and then incorporating.

I won't guess at what the Developers have in store for the Zen Blog features or changes. But, a call for change was made years ago and it's been a very slow roll. There are 223 feature ideas relating to "Blogging" with only a small percentage of those being completed.

Again, I understand your frustration. I understand your needs. I'm just offering you options or ideas that others use.