When looking for new equipment, do you only buy brand new or do you go for used?

ZenBrianZenBrian Administrator Posts: 1,689
Acquiring new gear can be an expensive venture. There comes a time when either you need to upgrade your equipment or you need to expand on your current inventory. Buying brand new can help give peace of mind, and warranties are a good reassurance that if something goes wrong, it will be covered. Buying Used equipment can help keep the pocketbook full, but can also leave you open to buying equipment that’s at the end of it’s life or otherwise defective. When looking for new equipment, do you only buy brand new, or do you go for used? What are your experiences with either?

When looking for new equipment, do you only buy brand new or do you go for used? 21 votes

I only buy new
23% 5 votes
I’ll buy Used or Refurbished, but only from a reputable source
19% 4 votes
I will buy Used anytime
4% 1 vote
I’ll buy some things Used, but New for others
42% 9 votes
It depends
9% 2 votes
Thanks!

Brian
Zenfolio Support

Check out my site! www.bussierephoto.com

Comments

• EvanChungPhotographyEvanChungPhotography San Francisco Bay AreaMember Posts: 18
    I only buy new gear now. Too many issues with gear that I bought "gently used".
    www.EvanChungPhoto.com
  • portraitistportraitist Member Posts: 31
    When there is a good price on a used lens, I'll go for it. With more involved electronics I'd want new, with a warranty.
  • Kevin KrowsKevin Krows United StatesMember Posts: 1,439
    I only purchase new equipment and replace bodies and lenses as new models are released. I'm a Platinum member of Canon Professional Services so I get the chance to field test all gear before purchasing.

I take exceptional care of all my gear and have always got top dollar trading in my gear so it's not as painful as it looks. I'm a sports photographer so I can put a ton of miles on gear in 2-3 yrs.
  • vicaltamvicaltam Member Posts: 2
    It depends.. lenses and bodies new, but other accesories used.
    victorvargasphotography.com
  • StephenZenStephenZen Administrator Posts: 607
    I just about always buy new gear. However, if I can secure a new camera body or lens that is an open-box item, I'll go for that. I've gotten some really good deals on these, and they are for all purposes brand new.
  • H & H MultimediaH & H Multimedia Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2015
    We only buy new gear rather than "assume" the history that someone has taken great care of their equipment. Once in a blue moon, I might think about buying something from an amateur photographer but there are also issues there. As pro photographers the job is so hard on our equipment that I'd never buy used from another pro photog. I should never say never... so if the right deal comes along on a 400mm f/2.8, I'll be looking used.