How do you leverage social media to work for you?

ZenBrianZenBrian Administrator Posts: 1,689
Social Media is everywhere, and escaping it is near impossible these days. Call it what you will, be it a fad, a trend, an era, etc., but it is upon us. The ability to adapt to changing business and marketing conditions can make or break a business. Some may suggest not putting all your eggs in one basket, referring to those who have abandoned traditional marketing methods to reinvest 100% of those efforts into social media. Others may reject social media all together considering it too short-term to invest in. Many will do a combination of the two, not wanting to ignore any potential exposure. With several major social media outlets to choose from, and various ways to use them, how do you leverage social media to work for you?

How do you leverage social media to work for you? 18 votes

I constantly post and upload/export images showcasing my latest work
27% 5 votes
I blog, and then plaster that blog all over the place
11% 2 votes
I have business pages that I update once awhile
5% 1 vote
I allow others to Share my work on their pages
0% 0 votes
I do a combination of these
38% 7 votes
I don’t do social media
16% 3 votes
I have a different method
0% 0 votes
Thanks!

Brian
Zenfolio Support

Check out my site! www.bussierephoto.com

Comments

• I get a lot of business through Facebook. Therefore, I update my business page often whether it be a recent session, an insightful article or just some photography related quote. Just keep it current and active...
  • portraitistportraitist Member Posts: 31
    Social Media can be a great tool, but can also be a super time waster. I use a tool that allows me to post to multiple accounts at the same time. Not too often, but enough to keep interest and remain in other peoples update stream.
  • algia10algia10 Member Posts: 4
    I think social media works if you know people! If you don't know anyone, it's totally pointless unless you drop buckets of money into it! In which case might as well use Google. I haven't got any business from social media.
  • Hi portraitist,

Thanks for your post. Could you tell me which tool you are using for social media?

Best,
    Anna
  • Kevin KrowsKevin Krows United StatesMember Posts: 1,439
    Personally, I think you are in or out when it comes to social media. You either do a lot and are good at coming up with things of interest that keep people looking or you don't do it at all. I do use a Twitter account to congratulate teams I cover who have won big games. That's about it for me as a sports photographer.

All of my business communication is through direct email with current and prospective clients who have created accounts on my web site. I'm very careful about how often I send out emails making sure that the content is relevant and valuable to my clients. I also post a blog entry 1-2 times per month. My overall communication goal is to be slightly above the radar particularly between sports seasons.

Social media is a great tool only if it provides a great return on your investment of time. My time isn't free so I spend it on other activities that provide a better return on my investment. I think if my business was senior portraits, I'd be more active in the social media arena.