Best Macro

I am a newborn child and family photographer, and am interested in acquiring a macro lens for my nikon D7000. I was wondering if you guys had any advice in what I should be looking for in terms of aperture and focal length. I do not have my own studio, but I travel to peoples homes or do on location shoots.

Comments

• Stroodle88Stroodle88 White Salmon, WAMember Posts: 90
    I don't shoot Nikon, but my favorite macro lens focal length to use is 100mm. At 100mm, you have a bit of working distance available so that you don't have to be completely "up close and personal" to your subject, which for newborns is not that big a deal, but could be for children and adults. Typically, the 100mm prime macro lenses are f/2.8.
    Bertrand Hui
    Bertrand Hui - Lifestyle Photographer
    Based in the Columbia River Gorge, Pacific Northwest
  • robertKalbrobertKalb ViennaMember Posts: 36
    The best Macro for Nikon D800, Zeiss 2/100 mm!
  • Jim HJim H Member Posts: 2
    I don't shoot Nikon, but I'd say that part of the equation would be what sensor size your cameras uses. Looking up the D7000, I see that it's a "DX" format body. Looking up "DX Format", I see that this is what's usually called "APS-C" format.

This means that you have an approximate 1.5X or 1.6X "crop factor" involved when deciding what any given lens focal length will "mean" when mounted to that body.

I have found that I really love the EF-S 60mm macro lens on my 1.6X crop factor Canon bodies. This gives me the same "effective focal length" as a 100mm lens would provide on a full frame body. It makes for a nice "portrait length" lens, and is perfect for shooting people, pets, and would be great for babies, of course.

So you might look into finding a macro lens with a focal length around 60mm for your "DX" sensor Nikon body. If possible, you would get a better feel for it all if you could borrow, rent, or "try out in a store" some of the various macro lenses available to fit your camera.

A 100mm lens will be equal to approximately a 150 or 160mm lens on your DX sensor camera. Often, that's a bit too "long" of a lens for portraiture, but it's a matter of taste and how much space you have to work with. If you can get back far enough from your subject to get the framing you want, and you prefer the more "compressed perspective" of a longer focal length lens, then a 100 would also be good. It really is a matter of taste and your typical shooting situations.

As Stroodle88 wrote, a longer focal length, by placing you farther from the subject, can sometimes be nice because you're not "in the face" of your subjects. That might allow more natural and candid shots. With infants, it's not so much of a problem, but as people get older, they get more camera-shy, or try more to "pose" when confronted with a camera. So there is something to be said for using a longer focal length lens for portraiture.

Anyhow, I'd recommend trying a few different focal length lenses to see what you like. I have really loved the 60mm macro, especially for babies but then again, I sometimes use a 70-200 for portraits to get me farther from the subject when shooting older people.

• Thank you all so much, especially Jim H for taking the time to research my camera. I usually shoot in small spaces so I was thinking that the 40mm might be best (taking into consideration the crop factor), I definitely want to try these lenses out though, renting was a great idea!
  • I used d7000 for over a year. I used a 50mm 1.8 for my newborns, but also used 24-70mm 2.8. I just went full frame to the D610 and still use both. The 50mm is a really nice piece of glass for the excellent price.