Best Lens for Weddings

Hi All! I would love some recommendations for upgrading my lens. I have a Nikon D5200 and want to replace the kit lens with something that takes sharper, and just plain better, photos! I recently purchased the 35mm and I love it for portraits and getting great depth of field, but for larger shots I need something else. There is a local camera store by me and I went in to check some out but felt like the guy behind the counter didn't really know what he was talking about and just wanted to sell me the most expensive lens he had. So, what do you all suggest is THE go to lens for wedding photos? Best for sharpness, depth of field, get portraits and just all around amazing? haha thanks for your input! Also- do any of you use TAMRON lenses? Thanks!!

Comments

• DentedkDentedk Member Posts: 1
    NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II. You cant go wrong with this glass! Spend the extra money and get it. Tamron and Sigma are ok....but for you main go-to lens you need this one!
  • Dentedk thank you for replying! I wish I read this earlier. I went to a local camera store to play around today and let the guy talk me into buying a lens! I got a Tamron (he assured me they were just as good as Nikkor) 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 lens. I got it because I was able to trade in my kit lens and it seemed like both my lenses that I had combined into 1! So far I like it and think its good... but I noticed it shakes a little after I take the shot. Is that normal? I have 14 days to try it out and return it if this isn't what I thought it would be. Thank you for your advice!!!
  • Stroodle88Stroodle88 White Salmon, WAMember Posts: 90
    I'm in agreement with Dentedk 100%. I'm a Canon shooter, but as a wedding photographer, the 70-200 lens range is the most ideal. Additionally, the main difference you'll notice for lenses in this range is the high price right off the bat - but the reason why that is is because the maximum aperture for the lens is set at f/2.8. This is important in low-light situations where you want to let in as much light as possible. With the Tamron lens you purchased, in addition to probably not being weather-resistant, it has a variable aperture, meaning the more you zoom in with the lens, the less maximum light you'll be able to capture.

That's the easy answer at any rate.
    Bertrand Hui
    Bertrand Hui - Lifestyle Photographer
    Based in the Columbia River Gorge, Pacific Northwest
  • Thanks Stroodle88 that is really helpful! I may be taking this back to the store!
  • John Watson Photography LSWPPJohn Watson Photography LSWPP Southampton, UKMember Posts: 111
    I agree with the 70-200 f2.8 being the lens to get, but if like me you could not afford the Canon (or Nikon on your case), I went for the Sigma 70-200 which is about £800 compared with the canon at about £1800. Had it now for about 10eddings and its been a really good sharp lens.

Just another option for you.
  • robertKalbrobertKalb ViennaMember Posts: 35
    I think a combination of AFs 2.8 / 24-70mm and 70-200mm NIKKOR f / 2.8G ED VR II or AFs 1,4 / 24 + AFs 1.4 / 35 + 1.4 / 85 mm.