how much can photos be enlarged?

larkartlarkart Member Posts: 3
Does anyone have a formula for figuring out the best size for photos so they are not enlarged too much? Thanks.

Comments

• Kevin KrowsKevin Krows United StatesMember Posts: 1,451
    It's really a qualified answer. I really depends on the size and resolution of the image you are enlarging from.

I use Canon 1DX camera bodies that produce very large image files about 3400x5100 pixels at 300ppi .... that's an 11"x17". If I lower the resolution to 150 ppi, which is acceptable for large prints, the image size is now 22"x34". Haven't enlarged the file .... just changed the resolution.

Here's my golden rule however. Any time I print over 12x18 prints, I use Genuine Fractals to resize my images up. The software has been around for many years and makes enlarging files a breeze. My images have been displayed on outdoor billboards and I recently sold a 48" x96" poster to a client.

Perfect Resize Genuine Fractals is sold by OnOne software and has a great reputation in the photography industry. They're also great to work with when you need technical support.
    http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/resize9/

Currently on sale for $49 through Jan 23rd. Reg. $79