Adding photo to blog - but not having it appear in gallery

Kieran Green PhotographyKieran Green Photography Member Posts: 1
edited January 2015 in Blogging and Custom Pages
Apologies if this has already been asked - or if I am missing something obvious but ...

I want to add photos to a blog entry, but they aren't production photos that I want appearing in a gallery for general browsing through. Some are just snaps for blogging purposes or "mid points" in post processing etc.

I tried creating a private gallery and hiding the thumbnail form the user - but this means I can't add it to a blog entry.
If I create a public gallery and hide the thumb nail, the photo is still find-able and a link to it would open up a gallery on my site that has images I don't want in the main site.

What I really want is a folder where I can store blog only photos, that's total separated and doesn't link from the photo in the blog entry etc.

Hope that makes sense, any and all help very greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Darren WardDarren Ward United KingdomMember Posts: 104
    Try a private gallery with public photos in it.
    You make a private gallery and upload the images as normal, then select the images themselves and change their privacy settings to public. The gallery will still be private so it won't show on your website but the images can still be embedded in blog posts, forum posts, etcetera.
    I'm not sure if it will confuse Zenfolio's blog image embedding menu (as I don't use Zenfolio's blog system) so you may have to do the embedding manually by getting the code from the Share menu on the individual photo pages, but it definitely works fine as I do it on a Wordpress blog.
  • Bill RagostaBill Ragosta Member Posts: 17

Try a private gallery with public photos in it.
    You make a private gallery and upload the images as normal, then select the images themselves and change their privacy settings to public. The gallery will still be private so it won't show on your website but the images can still be embedded in blog posts, forum posts, etcetera.
    I'm not sure if it will confuse Zenfolio's blog image embedding menu (as I don't use Zenfolio's blog system) so you may have to do the embedding manually by getting the code from the Share menu on the individual photo pages, but it definitely works fine as I do it on a Wordpress blog.

Thanks for the answer, though I'm not the OP. I had the same question and I've always just kept a gallery named "blog photos" but some of them are snap shots and not really want I want to display to visitors. I'll see about changing my "blog photos" gallery to a private one.
  • would love to know if a solution to the OP was found as I am looking for the same thing - I want to use image in my blog that I don't want in my portfolio. Right now I have to upload them to my server thru Filezilla then grab that link & insert it into my blog - too much work that way :)
  • I am also looking for an answer to this. I want to have a photo on my blog but I have no choice to upload the photo to a gallery. If I create a private gallery with public photos I get Google Crawl errors which has a negative effect on my google search results. I looked at Zenfolio's YouTube channel and there are no videos about their blog feature.
  • debbiehartmanndebbiehartmann MinnesotaMember Posts: 5
    I have been wondering about this question for a while. So I am correct in saying that there is no way just to upload a photo to my blog directly from my computer? I would just like to create a blog post, then add a photo by "browsing" through my computer and choosing the photo. Right now the only way I can figure out how to do it is to upload it to my zenfolio folder that I call Blog posts, then after its uploaded I can choose the photo out of that folder. This just seems so dumb, every other program I use out there in the world allows me to just choose a photo right off my computer without uploading it somewhere else first.
  • saharmalusaharmalu Member Posts: 8
    would love to know if a solution to the OP was found as I am looking for the same thing - I want to use image in my blog that I don't want in my portfolio. Right now I have to upload them to my server thru Filezilla then grab that link & insert it into my blog - too much work that way :)
  • ChessZenChessZen Administrator Posts: 502
    All photos stored in the Zenfolio account must be stored in a gallery so to store images for display in the blog, it must be uploaded to the gallery.

But as mentioned previously, access to the gallery can be controlled. The gallery can be set to private to prevent access to the gallery while leaving the images set to 'Public' in Access Control.

Alternatively, the gallery can be kept 'Public' but be stored in a 'Private' group.

To avoid issues and errors, edit the gallery's Access Control settings to make the gallery not searchable or indexable by search engines.

Also make sure that there are no links to the gallery posted in the Site Menu or anywhere else.

Then when adding the photo to the blog post, the photo's Click Action can be edited so that the image does not link back to the gallery. That can be found by double clicking on the image in the Blog Post editing page, then going to the 'Set Options' tab.
  • john.e7@hotmail.comjohn.e7@hotmail.com Member Posts: 1
    this all seems complicated! to a not too tec savvy 'oldie' could zen provide an upload button to the blogs?
  • DG OAKILL DG OAKILL Member Posts: 15
    ChessZen said:

All photos stored in the Zenfolio account must be stored in a gallery so to store images for display in the blog, it must be uploaded to the gallery.

But as mentioned previously, access to the gallery can be controlled. The gallery can be set to private to prevent access to the gallery while leaving the images set to 'Public' in Access Control.

Alternatively, the gallery can be kept 'Public' but be stored in a 'Private' group.

To avoid issues and errors, edit the gallery's Access Control settings to make the gallery not searchable or indexable by search engines.

Also make sure that there are no links to the gallery posted in the Site Menu or anywhere else.

Then when adding the photo to the blog post, the photo's Click Action can be edited so that the image does not link back to the gallery. That can be found by double clicking on the image in the Blog Post editing page, then going to the 'Set Options' tab.

This is metaphorically reinventing the wheel. Seriously. There isn't an easier option available? Every other blogging platform is way easier than this, even the free ones. We are after all, paying for this. I would think that this would have been solved before the blogging option was made available.