New Photo Moments App

Looks great and congrats on finally getting this feature to us!
In my contract, I say to not use Instagram filters on any of the images my clients get from me. Otherwise that is in violation of their contract. I see that you can share images on Instagram using this app. Is there a way to turn off this feature? Thanks!

Comments

• is there anyway not to allow downloading? Just allow viewing?
  • kflickkflick Member Posts: 10
    So... I love that this feature is now available to us. I understand that it's new, and some bugs will need to be worked out.

The first thing I found is that if images are downloaded in the app, they are not watermarked. At least not that I've seen yet. I created a gallery to test the app. I downloaded the app to my iPhone and am able to view the images fine. The watermark is present when viewing the images. However, when I download an image to my phone, the image downloaded has no watermark. My understanding was that if the image is watermarked, the watermark will stay. Is there a checkbox I need to check somewhere?

Or... is it because I watermark the images individually. I do not have a watermark set for the gallery, because I have a different watermark depending on the orientation of the image. So, I go into the gallery and select the watermark for each image individually. The result is that the images are all watermarked, but the gallery still shows as not having a watermark assigned.

If this is the problem, can the app be set to use watermarks applied to individual images, rather than the gallery?

Thanks for any help or information. It is appreciated.

-Kevin
    Yeah... so... I'm an idiot. The watermark is there.

What happens is that my phone is automatically zooming in on the image, to fill the screen, when it first opens. This drops the watermark off the screen. I'm sure I tried it earlier, but again I was messing with the image that was downloaded and zoomed out... and there it was.

So yeah... hope my idiocy helps somebody else. :P
    Christine - this should be controlled in the gallery permissions, on your site dashboard. If you allow downloading on the site, it allows it in the app, and vice versa. At least, that's the way I understand it. I don't think you can separate the two.
  • jaxhousejaxhouse Member Posts: 24
    Ok, great! Are the permissions set on specific groups/galleries automatically carried over to the app or do we have to create separate ones for the site and app? For example if we have the gallery set to not allow downloading of photo originals is that the way it is in the app as well. Sadly, some of mine have been screen captured and printed without seeming to not care that the watermark is plastered across the center of the image. Thanks for posting...you answered one question that I had right off the start. Love the idea of the app!
  • PeterZenPeterZen Member Posts: 59
    In the Photo Moments app, the gallery retains its Access Control settings so if you've set the gallery to not allow the downloading of original images, then your client is not going to be able to download a copy of the original images through the app.

However, the app does allow for downloading the lower resolution display images. It is not possible to disable the downloading of the display images as this is one of the main functions of the app - allowing clients to save and share images. You can limit the largest size display images that your clients can download in Access Control.

You also have the option of watermarking the display images with a watermark or with your logo. This way, when the low resolution display images are downloaded, they will retain your logo or other website information. We highly recommend using watermarks.

The ability to share via email, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram is integrated into the apps functionality and can not be disabled either individually or together at this time.
    Peter
    Zenfolio Support

• deirdreadeledeirdreadele Member Posts: 128
    We spend hours on our client's images editing them. And then sometimes, when I take a break and come back to them, I find that I need to re-edit a few. I'm sure I'm not the only pro that does this.

So to have a client take their gorgeously edited images into Instagram and muck it all up with this filters, and then share it with family and friends? Did you guys think about that?

Instagram is what I do not want my clients to think it is OK to use the filters on my images with. It's in their contract to not do this. However to be able to make it easier for them is like me saying, go right ahead and violate the contract.

To integrate Instagram into the app without disabling it, I think, is totally irresponsible of Zenfolio. So until this is fixed, I will hold off on offering it to certain clients who I know and trust will not use the Instagram button.

PLEASE fix this.
    In the Photo Moments app, the gallery retains its Access Control settings so if you've set the gallery to not allow the downloading of original images, then your client is not going to be able to download a copy of the original images through the app.

However, the app does allow for downloading the lower resolution display images. It is not possible to disable the downloading of the display images as this is one of the main functions of the app - allowing clients to save and share images. You can limit the largest size display images that your clients can download in Access Control.

You also have the option of watermarking the display images. This way, when the low resolution display images are downloaded, they will retain that watermark. We highly recommend using watermarks.
    Peter
    Zenfolio Support

• I have downloaded the app to my ipad and iphone 6plus, but all I have or see is a static page with information. A photo of app logo and View,save, and share your photos To add a gallery, use the link provided by your photographer. Now what? Nothing.
  • The new client app is meant for be used by your clients to view your photos. Through the app itself, it is not possible for the client to find your account or your photos.

The only way for them to view photos in the app is by you sending them the client app link to their gallery.

Normally this is done by sending them an invite to the gallery through your Zenfolio account, making sure to check the box for 'Include link for mobile app experience'.

Alternatively, you can also send them the client app link by accessing the client app link in the Sharing panel under the Toolbox. You can see this after navigating to the desired gallery in your account's Edit View.

After they receive the link, they can open the link in their internet connected mobile device and they will be given the choice to open the link using the client app.
  • Kevin KrowsKevin Krows United StatesMember Posts: 1,463
    edited March 2015
    deirdreadele --- With all due respect, any time you create an opportunity for your clients to have access to the electronic file, they will do what they want to do with the image. This is something that YOU need to control not something that Zenfolio NEEDS TO FIX.

For what it's worth, I hate when clients alter my work as well. I don't feel as bad, however, if they have paid me the big bucks for the right to do that however. :) Business is business.... whatever makes the client happy. Right??
  • deirdreadeledeirdreadele Member Posts: 128

deirdreadele --- With all due respect, any time you create an opportunity for your clients to have access to the electronic file, they will do what they want to do with the image. This is something that YOU need to control not something that Zenfolio NEEDS TO FIX.

For what it's worth, I hate when clients alter my work as well. I don't feel as bad, however, if they have paid me the big bucks for the right to do that however. :) Business is business.... whatever makes the client happy. Right??

It's stated in my contract that my clients do not alter their images in any way like adding filters to them. And for the most part none of them have. But by giving them the ease of sharing to Instagram IS like saying it's ok. I want my clients to have this app. BUT I want Zenfolio to give us the choice of how our clients share it.

Thanks for the feedback. Your request for changes to the new app have been noted and sent to the development team for consideration in future updates.
    Peter
    Zenfolio Support

• There is too much Zenfolio branding on the app! Why would I want my clients to see that? Plus, it sets an expectation that they will be able to download the photos. When they can't, they may be frustrated.
  • likovskylikovsky PhiladelphiaMember Posts: 3
    It'd be nice to be able to customize the icon for the app on people's homepage to be the photographer's logo. Also it looks odd to have my logo and my name under it..looking to see how I can have one or the other and not both.
  • PeterZen,
    My gallery access control settings have been set so that photos cannot be downloaded. However, the app shows me an option to download photos in either high-res or low-res. I don't want this. What am I doing wrong?
  • StephenZenStephenZen Administrator Posts: 609

PeterZen,
    My gallery access control settings have been set so that photos cannot be downloaded. However, the app shows me an option to download photos in either high-res or low-res. I don't want this. What am I doing wrong?

Unfortunately, it's not currently possible to disable downloading of these display sizes entirely. For this reason, we encourage you to use watermarks on your photos. I'm sorry for the inconvenience with this, but I will pass this suggestion on to our development team as a possible feature change in the future. You can see more on setting the max allowed download size here.
  • jaxhousejaxhouse Member Posts: 24
    Not sure, at this time, I'm ready to share the app with my clients unless I can disable the ability to download the images to their phone. My concern is that many times after selling prints I offer cds/flash drives of digital images. I'm concerned that once my clients have images on their phone, for their background image, Facebook profile, etc... they will not need the digital images from me. I'm going to wait for more feedback on the app before providing it. I do, however, really like the idea to provide something like that to my clients and will keep checking back here from time to time to see what feedback it is getting.
  • I don't like them being able to download the pictures at all -- but I could live with a very low-res copy. Definitely not in high res. My app shows me the high-res option even though I have downloading turned off in my settings. Until this is fixed, I'm afraid I won't use it. :-/
  • StephenZenStephenZen Administrator Posts: 609
    Do keep in mind the options for low res downloads or high res downloads is directly linked to the largest allowed image size in the gallery's access control settings. If you want to only offer a low res download with a watermark, you'll just need to set the largest display images size to Large or smaller. Here is the information directly from the support article here:

Clients can save a single image or an entire gallery to their phone in two or three sizes using the Save to device icon.

Low-res (size large, watermarked)

High-res (largest allowed, watermarked)

Originals (if allowed, no watermarks)

If the photographer has set 'Large' as the largest allowed, only the low-res option will show. See this guide on how to set the maximum size display image size allowed for download through the app.

The option to download copies of the originally uploaded full resolution image files will only be available if the photographer has allowed the downloading of original files via Access Control.
  • fotosmonttfotosmontt Member Posts: 17
    PeterZen said:

Thanks for the feedback. Your request for changes to the new app have been noted and sent to the development team for consideration in future updates.

Currently the best social network to share photos is Instagram, so incomprehensible -at least in the Android app- you removed that feature. I am with you for almost a decade.
    Someone complained that customers or users of that application could apply a filter. That concern is incomprehensible, because it also can download the picture and then upload them to Instagram. But those who do not have this concern, is difficult for us to give customers an application that has the limitation of not being able to share directly with Instagram, or any application to add white borders to the photo and adapt the format 1: 1 to post to Instagram

• Jim HJim H Member Posts: 2
    To test, I installed the photo moments app on my phone and on my tablet. Then I sent myself an email invite. No matter what I try, i cannot get it to work. Clicking on the link in the invite brings up the dialog asking which app I want to use to open the link, but the photo moments app is not one of the possible choices. Drilling in deeper, I can get it to a point where it says it cannot find the photo moments app. Yet it's installed. I even uninstalled it and reinstalled it using the install link in the invite email, and that changed nothing.

Samsung galaxy skyrocket II phone, and tab 8 tablet, android OS.

• LuMackeyLuMackey Member Posts: 1
    I like the app. However I too would hold to share with clients until the download button is turned off or if they can download ONLY VERY LOW resolution files and I can add note "This download will save LOW resolution images to your phone, these images are NOT intended to print. Please respect my work and do NOT alter the image in any way (crop, use of filters, etc.)"

I set the gallery to NOT allow image download, however in the app it is easy to download both low and high resolution.

There are clients that screenshot and share the images without using the app anyways, I like the app better but I do IPS and this is a feature that is not good for my business. I would LOVE to offer my clients the option of seeing their beautiful images in an app like this one but NOT if it's going to hurt my business.
  • Kris HankeKris Hanke Member Posts: 5
    I really loathe this photo moments app. So much that its making want another web solution altogether. I really want the app to be MY app and not zenfolios app. The way it works seems so backwards for me. I'd rather have them open up my webpage and browse to their site via web client than use the photo moments app. And right now, I don't even want them to browse my site from their mobile because of how it looks on mobile. It might be my layout choice, but I feel I should have mobile layout choices, and that currently isn't available.
    Photo moments app will let them see other photographers in that same app, and that to me is a conflict of interest. So very not happy at the moment
  • SueGSueG Member Posts: 71

I really loathe this photo moments app. So much that its making want another web solution altogether. I really want the app to be MY app and not zenfolios app. The way it works seems so backwards for me. I'd rather have them open up my webpage and browse to their site via web client than use the photo moments app. And right now, I don't even want them to browse my site from their mobile because of how it looks on mobile. It might be my layout choice, but I feel I should have mobile layout choices, and that currently isn't available.
    Photo moments app will let them see other photographers in that same app, and that to me is a conflict of interest. So very not happy at the moment

Yours works? Mine won't open and load, it just crashes.
    It used to work great. Now I can't possibly send it to clients; it's frustratingly awful.

• Kris HankeKris Hanke Member Posts: 5
    It works, but it is SOO basic and its Zenfolio app. So, if another local photographer uses Zenfolio and they send that app, my client will see both our photos of them in the same app. That just doesn't make sense for me. Sure it does for Zenfolio, but is zenfolio selling images? Hmmmm
  • I really loathe this photo moments app. So much that its making want another web solution altogether. I really want the app to be MY app and not zenfolios app. The way it works seems so backwards for me. I'd rather have them open up my webpage and browse to their site via web client than use the photo moments app. And right now, I don't even want them to browse my site from their mobile because of how it looks on mobile. It might be my layout choice, but I feel I should have mobile layout choices, and that currently isn't available.

The mobile browser version of the website loads beautifully I think, easy to navigate around, pictures load at a decent speed for viewing, etc... The app however, I've yet to get an entire gallery to load into it without "loading errors" of some sort. At BEST it's PAINFULLY slow, at WORST it doesn't work at all.... The funny thing is, I don't think they would need an app at all if they just updated the workings of the mobile browser version of the site to mimic the desktop workings of the site.
  • Kevin KrowsKevin Krows United StatesMember Posts: 1,463
    Sounds like it's time to "trash the ap". I agree that the mobile browser works much better for clients.
  • tim_majertim_majer Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2018
    Zenfolio serves tens of thousands of photographers since 2006 and now provides an optimized mobile solution for the photographer's clients. I like it! But if you mostly use Photoshop, then you will also like these http://fixthephoto.com/free-photoshop-textures
    Post edited by tim_majer on