test prints mpixpro

Sorry group if this has been addressed before, but I did a search and nothing came up on this topic.

I know that MPixPro allows me to print 5 free test prints for the purpose of calibrating my monitor. I've already used my 5 free ones, but does MPixPro allow additional free ones if I need to re-calibrate the monitor? I would think they'd allow it, but I've followed the same instructions as before (finding the free prints as a product), and its not there any longer.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Kevin KrowsKevin Krows United StatesMember Posts: 1,457
    Joe -- I re-calibrate my monitor every week. MPIXPro isn't going to give me free prints every time. The purpose of the 5 free test prints is for you to establish your baseline so that every time you recalibrate your monitor it will return back to the same place which is the point that you first calibrated your monitor and then ordered your test prints.

For what it's worth --- I periodically order prints for my portfolio as well as update mounted prints hanging in my office. I use several professional labs .... the same labs I use to fill client orders. Color accuracy is very important in my line of work as the sports teams I cover want their uniforms to be 100% perfect 100% of the time. A college with the team colors of royal blue and white, for example, won't accept purple and pink when their prints arrive.

Finally, every professional lab has ICC profiles that you can load so that your monitor matches their print output. Read the following support document http://www.zenfolio.com/z/help/support-center#/customer/portal/articles/408311
  • Great, I understand Kevin. Thank you! I've downloaded the ICC profiles for MPixPro, but sometimes I save as a .JPG from RAW or .PSD file in Photoshop, and sometime the same situation from Lightroom.

But I work in both Photoshop and Lightroom so I've loaded the MPixPro ICC into both. I'm assuming I need to keep them both set to that profile when proofing, but in Lightroom you can actually go a step further within that profile and select Perceptual and Relative which drastically changes the tone of the image. I have no idea what those are.

Maybe my workflow is screwing me up here... do you work with both and do you use the various print lab profile in each?

Any advice is appreciated!

Joe

• Kevin KrowsKevin Krows United StatesMember Posts: 1,457
    Since I calibrate my monitor myself every week and have tested this calibration by ordering samples from the labs I use (MPIXPro (Millers), WHCC, and BayPhoto) my prints are accurate all the time regardless of the lab I use.

I process in LR from RAW, export JPG's, and use PS to prepare final files for filling orders.