Landscape photography

I work a 9-5 job and have a family and I do photography on my time off. My passion is travel and landscape photography.

I have invested a lot of my time in learning photography, lightroom and photoshop. Shortly I will be upgrading my zenfolio account to include selling.

I would like to make this very successful and transition over to spending more time on it. I would very much appreciate any input on:

1. Pricing on framed or canvas prints

2. Using Zenfolio as fullfilment with Etsy, Ebay or Amazon

3. Getting people to visit your website.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Comments

• Kevin KrowsKevin Krows United StatesMember Posts: 1,457
    At one point in our careers as photographers we have been where you are now. I think a good starting point is to understand that the business of photography is much different than photography itself. Many lessons to learn and what works for one photographer may not work for another.

If there were simple and quick answers there would be many more people leaving the security of their "day jobs" to pursue their passion. With that said, I'll try to address your questions.

1. Pricing - There is no standard on this. A lot depends on the quality of your work, the market you are going after, competitors, and your profit objectives.

2. Zen w/Esty./Ebay/Amazon - Not sure what you are trying to achieve. Whatever it is, don't make the process of ordering from you too difficult. If you have purchased samples of MPIX products and like them then all you need is Zenfolio.

3. Visitors - First...produce high quality professional work. Second, learn about SEO. Third, hand out as many business cards to people as you can and encourage them to come to your site and have a look. That will get you started but understand that increasing your visitors is a long term process.... not an event that will happen next week.

Good luck.
  • CJ Wall ArtCJ Wall Art Member Posts: 2
    Kevin, thanks for taking the time to answer. I appreciate your input. Really what it comes down to is that I have a few hours a night to work on my photography along with whenever I can get out once every two weeks to shoot. I really enjoy working on it and between shooting and post processing it occupies all of my "spare time". The main thing I am passionate about is landscapes. I am looking for how, in the time that I have, I can get my work out there and make at least enough money to pay for new gear and ideally gear I need to also get into portraiture.
    -
    Without what appears to be a substantial focus on all the socail media, I need to find a platform that will procure people to my sites. This is why I was looking at Etsy, Ebay and Amazon because people go there naturally to buy things. I also started using fine art america.
    -
    Once I start making money, then I can look at cutting back on hours to move over to doing photography more frequently.
    -
    Again, thank you for your input. I have read a lot of your posts and appreciate you sharing what you have learned.
  • Queen City SkylineQueen City Skyline Member Posts: 1
    CJ Wall Art,
    This thread is about 1.5 years old and I was wondering if you figured out these things in that time:
    1. Did you find a better way to get fullfilment from outside sources besides Zenfolio's partners?
    2. Any luck promoting your site via Etsy, Ebay, or Amazon?
    3. Have you found any information regarding the most successful photographers using Zenfolio and what kind of revenue they are getting?
    Paul DuBose