WHAT? Zenfolio about to almost double our fees??

Just noticed a little icon has appeared on the top black bar of the admin screens. Had a look to see what it does and guess what, it goes to the new plan$ and those plans offered cost almost double the current plan rate$.

Zenfolio seem to have become so delusional and self obsessed that they believe taking away a great UI and delivering us rubbish crippleware that barely works in its place is so good that it justifies doubling the cost of our subscriptions.

How wrong they are!! I will never recommend Zenfolio again! They have proven they are happy to lie to their customers, dramatically downgrade the service they provide and now insult us all with massive price increases.

How about an explanation Zenfolio?
Post edited by Geografpix Photography on

Comments

• StephenZenStephenZen Administrator Posts: 607
    There are currently no plans to increase prices for existing customers.

The new plans and their prices better align with the rest of the industry and our competitors when you take into account the vast feature set we offer to photographers.

The new prices remain very competitive and only apply to new customers signing up.
  • andreasweberandreasweber Stuttgart, GermanyMember Posts: 1,001

There are currently no plans to increase prices for existing customers.

The operative word being "currently".

ZenBrian, February 2014: "Yes, the price increase and the service fee increase is for brand new accounts only. Any accounts that were signed up for prior to the increase are locked in at your existing rates for the life of your account. "
    June 2014: my "locked in" rate increased from 100$/a to 140$/a in one fell swoop.
    ZenBrian, July 2014: "The rates did go up for Premium accounts that are in $USD, so they all now renew at the $140 level."

Oops, we didn't expect your account to last another half year?
  • beagle700beagle700 Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2015
    I was going to come back to zenfolio. But after seeing the price go up almost 3X what it was. I will never recommend zenfolio. For current users on the $140.00 Plan. It will go to $240.00 They already lied about cost increases in the past. (Remember the LOCKED IN RATE FOR $100.00)
    I would be looking for another provider fast. Zenfolio is no longer a viable option for photographers and cant be trusted anymore.
    I'm so glad I left when I did..
    Post edited by beagle700 on
  • I have been a member for quite a few years. I currently sent an email to downgrade my account to a starter. $140.00 is too much per year. Not cost effective. Zenfolio apparently does not value its existing customers. When I started it was $100.00 locked in. Big joke. I may have to move also.
  • That confirms what I thought...

"The new prices remain very competitive and only apply to new customers signing up.

...is another lie from StephenZen.

It also applies to EXISTING CUSTOMERS who choose to change plans regardless of whether they change to a higher or lower plan.

So the only way existing customers can 'hopefully' avoid being ripped off the substantial hike in fees is to remain locked in by staying on a plan that may no longer be right for them. Thanks Zenfolio.

Not sure how lies, half truths, and obvious contempt for existing customers from Zenfolio is supposed to be good customer service, let alone a good way to grow their business.

So the only way existing customers can 'hopefully' avoid being ripped off the substantial hike in fees is to remain locked in by staying on a plan that may no longer be right for them.

Oh, that won't save you. As mentioned above the last time it took all of five months to raise the "locked in" prices as well. But Zen really has learned: even when pressed they won't make promises anymore for how long the prices are supposed to stay the same. All you get is "there isn't currently any plan to do so" (typical Newspeak as from any politician). And as we know Zen doesn't make plans for more than two weeks into the future ...
  • stevejstevej Member Posts: 73
    I have been patient for long enough - I have now put up with the massive price hike for existing customers, the ever increasing unscheduled downtime and the ever-slowing website for to long already. My subscription will not be renewed. Checked in to do some udating today and the site was down (again).

If Zenfolio put half as much effort into maintaining its infrastructure and serving its paying customers (us) as it does into its spammy email campaigns it would be a great company.
    My Zenfolio/Wordpress website: http://theminimalistphotographer.com
    Hey, what's one hour and 39 minutes unscheduled downtime among friends!
    Ooops, we're not actually friends but business partners; and I didn't learn about the downtime through a message from Zen, but only because Pingdom is watching my site for me...
  • CfitzCfitz Member Posts: 18
    HI, Have you found a new way to do you online galleries for your clients? I self-host a wordpress site, and long ago was considering a self-hosted Turning Gate approach. What is your alternative to Zenfolio?-Cfitz
  • CfitzCfitz Member Posts: 18
    I will be some work to set up, but I feel it is time to discontinue the 4 or 5 or 6year relationship with Zenfolio as well.....
  • Terry MercerTerry Mercer East Tennessee, USAMember Posts: 22
    I dropped Smugmug's Pro account a few years ago because they jumped the price. Zen told me IN WRITING that they would NEVER raise the price for existing users, and when I just checked, my 'renewal' is 'locked in' - under my account, then click on 'account level' and it shows what the renewal fee will be (same as the previous year, and now I'm at the top level account... which I should have started with, but didn't because I didn't think I'd be needing those additional features, but I am).

NO WORRIES, at least for me. They've been true to their word... and the existing account holders will STAY THE SAME as they ARE. However, I was told that if you change your account (up or down), or are just signing up, it will go to what ever the new price is. I walked away from nearly a million images on my smugmug, the majority of which I've never bothered to pull from the archives to reload here (on my zen account). With over 200k in images the last couple years, having tried almost all the other options (including self-hosting, with my own servers)... I'm staying... it's not worth the time, head-aches, or hassle... and Zen isn't messing with the CURRENT USERS EXISTING ACCOUNTS (the way smugmug actually DID).

I'm hoping for less 'downtime' for maintenance, and hope they will continue to improve their site... there have been massive positive changes in the last couple years, and I hope they continue listening to those of us that are communicating the need for certain features. Being able to sell to mobile users WAS AWESOME. Being able to have 'customer cropped' downloads ON ZEN - and sell 'facebook cover' and 'profile' images has MASSIVE POTENTIAL! I just found that new option a couple days ago (after asking for it for months). Their communication about new changes kinda sucks, but I've seen massive progress! And hope that positive progress continues!
  • Kevin KrowsKevin Krows United StatesMember Posts: 1,439
    What plan are you on @Terry Mercer ? Pro or Advanced?

If you are the Pro Plan, can I ask that you take a look at the features of both plans and tell me which features in the Advanced Plan seem to be most important to you. This is a "leading" question but I want to see if you come to the same conclusions that I have and have lobbied everyone at Zenfolio up and down for.
  • OrenOren Member Posts: 9
    May I ask those who left what service did they subscribe to instead?
  • OrenOren Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the bump.
  • I currently have an EU Unlimited site and want to upgrade to allow Digital Downloads - For the very small upgrade that I need I have to pay €20 a month extra! - I don't want to shell out so much money and have been looking at alternatives! - SquareSpace is much cheaper but I love my Zen site and have become very familiar with it's back end but If I can not find a fair deal for my digital downloads then I have no alternative to jump ship :(
    You left Smug Mug.... came back to Zenfolio .... now jumping ship to go somewhere else? Please let us know where you find a better ecommerce site that allows selling digital downloads (exclusively) for less money than what Zenfolio charges for a robust ecommerce platform with features you may want or need in the future.
    edited January 2016

Please let us know where you find a better ecommerce site that allows selling digital downloads (exclusively) for less money than what Zenfolio charges for a robust ecommerce platform with features you may want or need in the future.

Well, since Martin is in Germany like me the answer obviously is Jimdo. Their Pro plan is 5 €/m compared to Zen's 20 €/m - and that includes a domain name and e-mail account. And it's the only hosting service I know where you can set up an online shop that fulfills a legal requirements in Germany and the EU...
    (That "User Agreement" Zen forced on everyone won't help you in any way on our side of the pond!)
    Jimdo is very cool! Glad they have an English translation as my German is very rusty. My last name was spelled Kraus before my great grandfather came over on the big boat. Took two years of German in high school and still didn't learn anything.

The one thing I like about Jimdo is they cut to the chase on everything. Much like Photoshelter but much more cost effective. Hard to ignore their $90 pro plan.

Ich danke Ihnen for jumping in and sharing @andreasweber!

(I hope I said "I thank you for....." and not something stupid) :)

Ich danke Ihnen for jumping in and sharing @andreasweber!

(I hope I said "I thank you for....." and not something stupid) :)

Actually it's even perfect grammar, with correct capitalization and all! You're very welcome Herr Kraus ;-)
  • Martins PhotographyMartins Photography Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2016

Well, since Martin is in Germany like me the answer obviously is Jimdo. Their Pro plan is 5 €/m compared to Zen's 20 €/m - and that includes a domain name and e-mail account. And it's the only hosting service I know where you can set up an online shop that fulfills a legal requirements in Germany and the EU...
    (That "User Agreement" Zen forced on everyone won't help you in any way on our side of the pond!)

Danke!

@ Kevin Krows My own opinion but €240 a year for a hobby photographer allowing visitors to download photos is a little steep!

Post edited by Martins Photography on
    Sorry about that. I assumed this was your profession and that you were selling your downloads. Since FREE downloads is what you want, there are many different (less costly) options. I would Google "Free Photo Sharing" and see what comes up.
  • saharmalusaharmalu Member Posts: 8
    @ Kevin Krows My own opinion but €240 a year for a hobby photographer allowing visitors to download photos is a little steep!