Ongoing problems with sharing on Facebook get worse

clfryclfry Member Posts: 10
edited December 2015 in Marketing with Zenfolio
I've had issues off and on with previews when sharing Zenfolio images on Facebook for some time (and only ZF), usually fixed by using the fb debugger. However, even that doesn't work anymore. I scrape, re-scrape, reload, etc, with inconsistent results, regardless of how old the gallery and/or image is.
I'm getting a new error from Facebook now though:

fb:app_id hasn't been included in the meta tags. Specify the app ID so that stories shared to Facebook will be properly attributed to the app. Alternatively, app_id can be set in url when open the share dialog. Otherwise, the default app id( xxxxxxxxxxx ) will be assigned.

...and nothing shows.

I'm hoping this helps ZF figure things out once and for all (assuming and hoping they care)

Comments

• StephenZenStephenZen Administrator Posts: 608
    So we can look into this further, please reach out to our Support team at http://goo.gl/Vtyde8 with the link you're trying to share on FB. They'll be happy to check and see what may be going on.
  • SashaJuricSashaJuric Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same issue. It used to be 'just' hard to share a link with the proper preview photo, but not it is impossible.
  • tclaxton1tclaxton1 Member Posts: 24
    I'm not sure if this is the same problem or not, but Facebook used to pull the first 5 (a long time ago it was 10) pictures from a gallery when sharing a link to it on Facebook. Now, on my business page it is pulling random images (5 total) that I can pick from. On my personal page it selects one random picture with no option to select others. When the link is posted it doesn't use that picture. It uses the first one in the gallery.

I drag the pictures I want Facebook to use to the beginning of the gallery. After the links are posted I re-order the pictures in the gallery by file name.

The pictures are also being cropped on Facebook in a very annoying way (taking the middle of the picture.)

I know this may be a Facebook thing and not Zenfolio at all. Just thought I'd add my experience to this.
  • Why is this STILL a problem? I see that that this thread started over a year ago. Running my URL did NOT fix this issue. According to the FB debugger, there is still no app_id value. What am I supposed to do now?
  • ChessZenChessZen Administrator Posts: 502
    Hi Paula

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing an issue with sharing on Facebook. So we can look into the issue, please send a message to Zenfolio support through this page - http://www.zenfolio.com/contact

Make sure to send the link to the page that you're sharing Facebook.
  • Paula Gast PhotographyPaula Gast Photography Member Posts: 4
    edited June 16
    Yes. I have already done that. Sadly, the solutions provided have done nothing to solve this problem. Being able to copy and paste a URL into a Facebook status is as old a Facebook itself. It works with every site that I have ever seen. I do not understand what makes Zenfolio such a challenge.

When running my URL through the Facebook debugger, it keeps saying that the fb:app_id attribute is empty and MUST be provided. This is not something that a Zenfolio customer can do but can only be fixed by Zenfolio. Certainly, after over a year, you guys must be aware of this extremely serious problem.