Beginner Questions

Hello everyone! I am very new to the photography business and I was wondering if you guys had any tips or tricks on how to get started building up a clientele/job base? As well as building a great portfolio.Thank you.

Comments

• ChessZenChessZen Administrator Posts: 502
    In addition to any posts created by other photographers here, you may also be interested in some of the free guides that we've created. You can find them here.

You can also find some great tips for photographers posted in our blog.
  • Kevin KrowsKevin Krows United StatesMember Posts: 1,454
    @Custard Photography - There really isn't a "Fast Track" to success. It's hard work, long hours, and requires you to accept the reality that building your business is a never ending process .... not an event. With that said, here are a few beginner tips:

1. Make sure that your work is good enough that people would actually want to pay you for it.
    2. Don't try to buy your way to success by low price. Once you establish yourself as a "low cost" photographer that's what everyone will expect regardless of how much your work improves after years of experience.
    3. Focus and develop an expertise in what you enjoy shooting the most. More "general photographers" are going out of business every day. Find your niche and be the best (or at least one of the best).
    4. Build your business "One Happy Customer" at a time. A Happy Customer will refer 3-5 "pre-qualified" prospects to you. Do that for two years and you'll have more clients than you can handle.
    5. As far as a Great Portfolio ..... No more than 20 images that reflect your passion and communicate your unique style. Always ask for feedback from other professionals on your portfolio. You may not like what they tell you but at least you subjected your portfolio to CRITICAL EYES that have "Been There and Done That."

At the end of the day, your clients will choose you because they feel comfortable working with you. The vast majority of your clients will choose you because you are polite, communicate well, do good work, and have a great reputation for delivering on your promises. Nobody wants to do business with someone who is unorganized, self-focused, slow to respond, late for appointments, and whose work is average at best.

Good luck.
  • ScarletStarScarletStar Member Posts: 1
    edited April 28

Hello everyone! I am very new to the photography business and I was wondering if you guys had any tips or tricks on how to get started building up a clientele/job base? As well as building a great portfolio.Thank you.

Hi, I had a tips on how to build a photography business, just go to this site http://www.emilyexon.com/tips-for-building-a-photography-business/ and I think it will help you.
  • RicardoRicardo Member Posts: 15
    ChessZen said:

In addition to any posts created by other photographers here, you may also be interested in some of the free guides that we've created. You can find them here.

You can also find some great tips for photographers posted in our blog.

Great guides:) thanks for sharing