Best DSLR to buy

jacknicholsonjacknicholson Member Posts: 3
Hello friends,
I am willing to buy a DSLR, please suggest some best models according to you.

Comments

• In terms of brand there's only about two or three to choose from and they will all get the job done. Certainly each brand has its share of fans but for the most part its personal preference.

The best way to decide is to first understand that when you buy a DSLR and some lenses you are buying into a system and once you have a DSLR, a few lenses, and accessories, changing brand is expensive because its an all or nothing deal; for example you can't put Canon lenses onto a Nikon body so you would have to change the DSLR body AND lenses to jump ship either way. The major and popular brands all offer a sufficiently large range of lenses and accessories to accommodate pretty much any photography needs.

If your budget is limited, the golden rule is spend your money on the glass (lenses) and opt for a entry level body. Entry level lenses will produce disappointing results on even the most expensive of DSLR bodies whereas good lenses will produce better results than cheap lenses on any DSLR body. Also DSLR bodies are replaced more frequently than lenses as new technologies are released so you really want lenses that will last. For that reason I don't recommend the entry level kits where you get a cheaper body and lower quality lenses as it can be a road to dissapointment. Buy the best lens(es) you can afford then buy a body to use them on, you can always upgrade to a better DSLR body later as needs be.

Personally I use Canon but there's nothing wrong with Nikon.
  • ChessZenChessZen Administrator Posts: 511
    You can usually rent camera equipment for a day or two for a reasonable price so you can try out different models and lenses to see which one you like best.

It a great way to get a feel for the equipment before plunking down the big bucks.

Check out https://www.borrowlenses.com/
  • jacknicholsonjacknicholson Member Posts: 3

In terms of brand there's only about two or three to choose from and they will all get the job done. Certainly each brand has its share of fans but for the most part its personal preference.

The best way to decide is to first understand that when you buy a DSLR and some lenses you are buying into a system and once you have a DSLR, a few lenses, and accessories, changing brand is expensive because its an all or nothing deal; for example you can't put Canon lenses onto a Nikon body so you would have to change the DSLR body AND lenses to jump ship either way. The major and popular brands all offer a sufficiently large range of lenses and accessories to accommodate pretty much any photography needs.

If your budget is limited, the golden rule is spend your money on the glass (lenses) and opt for a entry level body. Entry level lenses will produce disappointing results on even the most expensive of DSLR bodies whereas good lenses will produce better results than cheap lenses on any DSLR body. Also DSLR bodies are replaced more frequently than lenses as new technologies are released so you really want lenses that will last. For that reason I don't recommend the entry level kits where you get a cheaper body and lower quality lenses as it can be a road to dissapointment. Buy the best lens(es) you can afford then buy a body to use them on, you can always upgrade to a better DSLR body later as needs be.

Personally I use Canon but there's nothing wrong with Nikon.

Thanks George,
    What models are best with minimal ranges? I would like to go for Canon and willing to opt for entry level bodies, that is a good idea spending amount on quality lenses rather than on bodies.
  • jacknicholsonjacknicholson Member Posts: 3
    ChessZen said:

You can usually rent camera equipment for a day or two for a reasonable price so you can try out different models and lenses to see which one you like best.

It a great way to get a feel for the equipment before plunking down the big bucks.

Check out https://www.borrowlenses.com/

Actually we are soon going to be blessed with a baby, hence I want to capture all special moments. I am very much exited for this news to hear. Though thanks the link.
  • SomedayTripsSomedayTrips Member Posts: 9
    What is your price range? As someone else mentioned. You can go on the low end for dslr and have most of what you need. Investing in good lenses is more important. A 50mm prime is a great way to have a sharp lens that is affordable to start with.
  • RicardoRicardo Member Posts: 15
    A low end DSLR you can get for a few hundred bucks, however it depends what exactly you're going for.