Calibration Help / Questions

JROPhotosJROPhotos Member Posts: 16
I have Windows 10 Pro and a BenQ SQ2700PT monitor. I also use the X-Rite Color Checker swatch when taking profiles and apply that profile to the photo which does help - that I've been doing for almost a year now with success.

I just purchased a X-Rite i1 Pro calibration unit and ran through a few calibrations; here's what I found:

The colors look much better however it wanted me to turn my brightness down from 65 to 32 which looks very dark to me...

I order all of my prints through Mpix.com and for the most part am pretty happy with the prints. I typically have them color correct but it's been awhile since I've ordered prints where I've asked them not to. Some prints have come back dark.

Is this normal? I know most screens ship with the brightness at 100% but if I edit my photos at 32 brightness and send the final image to my client on their un-calibrated screen I'm afraid that they will be blow out.

I'm planning on ordering the same print, edited on pre & post calibration with them not color correcting to see how it comes out but how do you guys handle this? I'm tempted to keep my brightness where it is and just use the calibrated colors.

Comments

• ChessZenChessZen Administrator Posts: 502
    I can't speak specifically on the exact brightness level that you should be using but here is Miller's recommendation when calibrating a monitor for use in soft proofing images that they will be printing.

The ColorMunki Display from X-Rite is recommended by the lab. According to MpixPro, the settings should be:

Calibration settings for device:

White Point: D50 or 5000K
    Gamma: 2.2
    Newer calibration devices are pre-set to 2.2
    Luminance: 100 cd/m2
    There are suggested starting values, the final value maybe be different

AdobeR PhotoshopR settings:

Edit > Color Settings Working Spaces > RGB > sRGB IEC1966-2.1
    Color Management Policies > RGB > Convert to Working RGB
    Profile Mismatches > Ask When Opening and Ask When Pasting > checked
    Missing Profiles > Ask When Opening > checked
    Conversion Options > Intent > Perceptual
    Ambient Lighting Condition: daylight balanced lighting condition

Compare images (as viewed in Adobe Photoshop) to non-corrected photographs (as viewed in daylight balanced lighting condition) after calibrating.
    If monitor is brighter than photographs: lower the Luminance value and re-calibrate
    If monitor is darker than photographs: raise the Luminance value and re-calibrate

After each re-calibration, compare non-corrected photographs to images

Continue adjusting Luminance and re-calibrating until images and non-corrected photographs closely match each other

Ambient lighting condition of work environment:

White Point: should be at or closely match the White Point noted above
    Light Level: suggest between 100 - 200 lux

They also recommend downloading the lab's ICC profile for use in soft proofing the images.

For more specific answers for setting up your monitor for soft proofing your images for Mpix, please contact Mpix support.