What now? Website basically unusable. Again.

Logged in today to make a blog post, check the site and perhaps upload a few images.
The site is basically unusable!
Slow beyond belief. Only displaying most of my photos even though I know the rest are there.
Galleries in bits.
Is this downtime that I don't know about/haven't been told about?
For over £100 a year I expect better, MUCH better from my website and am frankly disgusted with Zenfolio again.
Is it time to find another host for my photos and recipient of any annual fees as Zenfolio don't seem either willing or capable or both.
Doug.

Comments

• The whole day long unusable. Really inaceptable for a professional licenced website. And it was already often that slow, as I reported many times. It must become very fast very much better, or I have to look for an alternative. It's unusable for a pro photographer.
  • Laura VigneauLaura Vigneau Member Posts: 1
    Same problem here, completely unable to get anything done!!!! I'm about ready to move my website. Such a huge waste of time, I thought ZF was going to be the answer...
  • Motorsport in the UKMotorsport in the UK Member Posts: 23
    I emailed them 5 hours ago, as I couldn't work on my site, got this reply an hour ago:

"Thank you for reaching out to Zenfolio support!
    Our engineers are looking into this issue on our end as fast as we can. I will get back to you as soon as I have some more information. I don’t have a time-frame to pass on at this point, but do know it is our top priority.
    You can follow updates on our status page as well:
    http://status.zenfolio.com/
    Our apologies for the inconvenience, but thank you for your patience!
    Thank you, "

• peterjtaylorpeterjtaylor Member Posts: 4
    I worry that one day the service will go down, and be restored, minus a few galleries and some of our most treasured works. The cause of these repeated outages cannot be unknown to Zenfolio "engineers". Why doesn't the company fix it once and for all.. before the calamity of lost images occurs?
  • Photo Captures by JefferyPhoto Captures by Jeffery Nashville TNMember Posts: 61
    Yes it is getting rather annoying and the "engineers" are aware of their F#@K UP.... Of course they won't give credit for down time nor monies lost because of THEIR issue.
    Jeffery Johnson
    Photo Captures by Jeffery
    In the wildlife of nature to the city we go across the streets into the parks and along where spirits dance on cemetery lands.
  • Marcelo BarreraMarcelo Barrera Member Posts: 9
    Again the entire site is down...!! Zenfolio is really a pain..!!
  • My site is still unusable and I have 2 deadlines tonight. Any updates from Zenfolio on when this will be fixed?
  • Photo Captures by JefferyPhoto Captures by Jeffery Nashville TNMember Posts: 61
    It has been down ALL day and only response is a canned response with NO time as to when it will be working again. They are sending everyone to http://status.zenfolio.com/

My site is still unusable and I have 2 deadlines tonight. Any updates from Zenfolio on when this will be fixed?

Jeffery Johnson
    In the wildlife of nature to the city we go across the streets into the parks and along where spirits dance on cemetery lands.
  • AnykaAnyka Member Posts: 5
    Oh help, nothing's working here. Website down. Uploading works, but preview and publishing gives error pages. Clients cannot open their galleries anymore and start complaining. Please tell me this will be solved super quick?
  • Motorsport in the UKMotorsport in the UK Member Posts: 23
    11 hours later and still unusable. Tick tock......................
  • SkidsSkids Member Posts: 183
    They have a stand at the Photography Show at Birmingham NEC at the moment and I am going tomorrow. I will have a few things to say to them!
    Zenfolio Admins. Just a heads up, when I am at the Photography Show tomorrow I will be visiting SmugMug and ShootProof to see what they can do for me
  • gnagelgnagel Orland Park, ILMember Posts: 98
    This morning, I contacted Support because several of the photographs on my website failed to render. I've been out most of the day, but returned just now (8 hours later) only to see that my entire site is down!
    Like I have said to Zenfolio before. If they at least notified us when there is an outage then at least we could tell our customers that there is a problem and its being looked into but Zenfolio don't listen!
    Very doubtful it will do much good to bother even talking with them as they will give you the typical canned response as they have been giving all day.
    Skids said:

Zenfolio Admins. Just a heads up, when I am at the Photography Show tomorrow I will be visiting SmugMug and ShootProof to see what they can do for me

Jeffery Johnson
  • Marcelo BarreraMarcelo Barrera Member Posts: 9
    Again..!!
    No no Marcelo it is back up and running great. Just read the Status page and it says all is well.
    Jeffery Johnson
  • Bits of LightBits of Light Member Posts: 2
    This is disappointing indeed. Being down is one thing, but calling server failures and complete site outages "performance issues" is seriously annoying. Time to look at the options again.
  • Very displeased with this! For the money we pay we should be getting better reliability.
    At this rate will probably be some time tomorrow when their "engineers" actually fix the problem.
    Jeffery Johnson
  • peterjtaylorpeterjtaylor Member Posts: 4
    What does it mean, to say you have a portfolio, if nobody can see it because your service provider is down? What good is it, to say you're a photographer, if your clients can't show off their portraits because your service provider is down?
    What use is it, to wait for the weekend to upload you latest work, if your service provider is down that same weekend?
    What's the point of a blog, if the links to your work don't show anything because your host service is down again and again.
    Come on Zenfolio. This is totally unacceptable!
  • MIne isnt working either.
  • Kevin KrowsKevin Krows United StatesMember Posts: 1,451
    edited March 19
    Looks like they rebooted the servers and power cycled the routers :smile:

Very frustrating when the systems don't work as they should. While there is no excuse, outages do happen from time to time. Some are small and nobody notices while some are longer and take a little longer to figure out. Zenfolio is not the only host this happens to .... it happens to all of them.

What would really help us all is when the Zen has issues that reduce performance levels for our clients, why not take the site off-line and post a site maintenance message. That way our clients won't waste their own time trying to figure out why things are so sluggish or why they get the dreaded Internal Server 500 error.

Second, you have all of our email addresses so why not just send out a brief email letting us know what the problem is and when you estimate the problem to be resolved. We are not logged into our sites 24/7 but it sure would help us when our clients call or email us to let us know they are having issues. Would it have been so hard to send an email that said...

We wanted to advise all of our clients that we are currently working to resolve performance issues on the Zenfolio site. We have decided to take the Zenfolio site off-line until we have been able to identify and correct the problem. Until service is fully restored, your clients will see a service maintenance message when they view your site. Thank you for your understanding as we work to resolve and restore our system as quickly as possible.

Both of these things would take no longer than a few minutes to accomplish and should be the first step when major site issues crop up.
  • Bits of LightBits of Light Member Posts: 2
    @Kevin Krows Yes, that's exactly my expectation from a hosting service - honesty and transparency. Hopefully we'll at least get an informative post mortem in the next day or so.
  • gnagelgnagel Orland Park, ILMember Posts: 98
    When will the refunds be issued?
  • KenTanakaKenTanaka Member Posts: 12
    As Kevin remarked, no facility is perfect. The larger it gets the more complex it gets and the more points of failure become established. To expect perfection, especially for effectively pennies a day is simply unrealistic.

That said, I do believe that Zenfolio should have been more forthcoming and transparent about notifying their customers of this problem. My livelihood does not rely on Zenfolio's service, but others do have such reliance. One of the primary distinctions between first-class service and every one else is proactive information given to the customers. It would not have cost Zen much to send a note out to customers so that they were prepared when THEIR customers began complaining.

Tsk, tsk, Zenfolio.
    I spoke to one of the bosses at the photography show today (wish I had got his name) and he was apologetic but also making up excuses 'They have been working on the problem even on a Sunday' - Well if you provide 24/7 services then it doesn't matter if its a Sunday or not.
    I made the point that if its down then they should notify us as soon as it is down so that we can notify our customers. He agreed that it was a good idea. Surely its common sense! Manage expectations.

Anyway, long story short, I also spoke to the nice people at SmugMug and I am now running a 2 week trial with them and if all goes well I will be cancelling with Zenfolio and moving over to them unless Zenfolio can do something to assure us that they will turn things around
  • Kevin CoppalottiKevin Coppalotti Member Posts: 38
    Uploader dead. Tuesday 21st march australia, 11am.