What do you think of the new shopping experience?

PixstelPixstel Member Posts: 40
Zenfolio has recently made the new shopping experience compulsory. Some have made their disapproval clear, but of course those who are happy seldom comment. Zenfolio say they have extensively tested the new service and believe it to be an improvement. Is this testing truly representative of Zenfolio clients? What do you think?

What do you think of the new shopping experience? 42 votes

I like the new shopping experience - definite improvement.
0%
I hate the new shopping experience - get rid of it or make it optional
90%
plcormierBarbara JonesmsdruryGeoff OliveraephotosgailcoxIvan MorozovKevin KrowsweatherandskyBonzer PhotosFly By PhotographyChristophe TestiPhotography by Matt PayneJustin Minns PhotographyDakinePics PhotographyJoel Anderson Fine Art PhotographyAsh Mills PhotographyLinscott PhotographyESL PhotographyDewayne Christensen 38 votes
There are some good parts of the new shopping experience, but it needs more work
9%
Photo Captures by JefferyGeoff Guthro PhotographyTim KamppinenBarry Cruver 4 votes
I don't sell through Zenfolio, so it doesn't matter to me
0%

Comments

• SueGSueG Member Posts: 56
    I thnk it's too late. Normally enough wedding guests order prints & canvas in late June and July, and those profits pay for my years top level Zen subscription plus new sample albums annually. This year, since the 'new how many abandond carts can we add to your statcounter report' experience, I have not had a single sale through zen since this cart was made mandatory. And it was easy to see it coming to anyone who shops for anything at all online, except apparently Zens developers. A confused mind says no 100 percent of the time. I'll be gone from Zen as soon as I have time to deal with the hassle of moving, bcause right now, all I'm paying them for is a very expensive online file backup.

• PixstelPixstel Member Posts: 40
    I'm still hoping they'll realise they made a mistake and offer an opt out. The fact that I'm struggling to find another service the meets all my requirements highlights that there is much good in Zenfolio. It seems I will have to return to writing my own system, which I really don't want to do ... but I can't continue with the way things are.
  • Justin Minns PhotographyJustin Minns Photography Member Posts: 88
    edited July 19
    Pixstel said:

I'm still hoping they'll realise they made a mistake and offer an opt out. The fact that I'm struggling to find another service the meets all my requirements highlights that there is much good in Zenfolio. It seems I will have to return to writing my own system, which I really don't want to do ... but I can't continue with the way things are.

I came to the conclusion that all the hosting services have compromises, you just have to find the one you can live with, do it yourself with something like wordpress or get it done professionally. I gave up waiting for Zenfolio, I just couldn't see them backing down on this... hopefully for you I'll be proved wrong!
  • Rob SRob S Member Posts: 9
    Can't we just have the old system back as an option? Pretty please?

I don't think Zenfolio programmers realise how many people depend on the income from galleries, and having negative changes like these imposed is really problematic for our business.
  • ESL PhotographyESL Photography Member Posts: 16
    It's too BIG, font wise. It's too in-your-face. It's not what I want for my customers and my sales have fallen dramatically so I assume my customers don't like it much either. I'm looking elsewhere, and considering designing my own website if I cannot find a suitable competitor to Zenfolio. First, 7% for self fulfilling orders (far too much considering there's an annual subscription on top) and now this.

How arrogant of Zenfolio to ignore this response. Never seen a poll result like it.

Even fox hunting gets more votes!
  • I hate the new shopping experience - get rid of it or make it optional
    HATE the new shopping experience! My online sales are way down because of it and I have clients calling and complaining that they can't understand how to work it and end up having to take more time out of my busy day to walk them through a sale. I have three months until my membership is up, I am starting to shop for something with more user friendly selling options!
    There are so many problems with the new shopping experience and Zen does not seem to care either. I have tweeted about it. I have written support about it. I have used their online forum to complain about it, I have sent screenshots showing how it ruins things on my website, etc... no plans to fix it.
  • Linscott PhotographyLinscott Photography Member Posts: 1
    This new shopping experience is totally inappropriate at my price point for the weddings I shoot. It looks cheap and tacky. It does not communicate that my clients have chosen a top-level professional.

Allow me to opt-out now. I am shopping other suppliers right now, embarrassed to give my client a link to the gallery I uploaded today.

This may drive up sales for Zenfolio but it will negatively impact those of us who use Zenfolio as a proofing gallery to then edit and fulfill orders through Millers.

This is totally unacceptable.
  • SueGSueG Member Posts: 56
    I don't think its driving up sales at all, for anyone- if we are all losing money ( and I am for a certainty), that means Zen is losing money and Mpix/Millers is losing money. But apparently they would all rather trust 'the developers' who have rolled out this mess than swallow pride and admit that this rollout has cost them a fortune in lost revenue.
    I simply don't understand why Zenfolio can't make Quick Shop an option. It is draconian to impose this change on customers who are actually paying the wages of Zenfolio staff! Even if they introduce more customization, I would still prefer the Photo Page.
  • Ivan MorozovIvan Morozov Member Posts: 17
    The new shopping experience is just plain awful... It is killing sales. I no longer recommend zenfolio as a platform for photography business of any kind. I had to write numerous emails to my clients explaining and apologizing for zenfolio's move. Whoever designed that new shopping experience monstrosity doesn't have a clue about effective ecommerce design and the supervisor who allowed for this crap to be rolled out on us should be fired with extreme prejudice. good grief...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    www.ivanmorozov.com
  • plcormierplcormier Member Posts: 4
    The new shopping experience in the process seems to have broken SEO completely. My website which was once page 2-3 on google using search terms are now past page 9 because Google is unable to see any of the images SEO / metadata anymore. Others can likely confirm this by reviewing their website on websmater tools. Zenfolio is no longer a functional photography business website provider with its recent direction. It seems that every complaint or comment is left unanswered, or people are directed to understand quick shop. It seems my only recourse is to just bail out of Zenfolio and redo my whole website from scratch. I suggest others do the same. I've been with Zenfolio for 8 years, and this is likely my last year.
  • Barbara JonesBarbara Jones Member Posts: 21
    I can echo what you say plcormier....viewing stats way down since the New Shop Experience was foisted on us. Ditto on everything else sad to say. On another subject I have spent all last week chasing up a missing order for a client to no avail. Several emails later to Support, no result. Standards at Zenfolio are at rock bottom. This place used to be amazing !
    My viewing stats are about the same as ever, but my sales have fallen off dramatically since this new shopping experience was made mandatory. These customers are the same group of people who buy photos every show, so the only large variable here to explain the difference are the horribly designed new shopping pages. If something doesn't change soon I'm going to be forced to look elsewhere to sell my event photos.

Erich
  • plcormierplcormier Member Posts: 4
    edited September 27
    Great, update to my earlier post, not only are our comments ignored by Zenfolio, but my Zenfolio website now no longer shows ANYWHERE on a normal google search. It's gone except if I search for my name. You have completely broken my site. Google CANNOT see the images or any metadata with your stupid new quick shop add on that broke site functionality and visibility. I have put so much effort to get my page to near the top for my city, only for Zenfolio to break all metadata / SEO without my knowing.

For those who think they are showing high still, please make sure to search using incognito, and for terms you think would get to you using your photography themes. You might get shocked if you are used to being higher. It was fine back in June.

Zenfolio's greed has cost them.

Zenfolio you have just lost a customer, and quite frankly I want my money back as my annual subscription just renewed in September (price increase!) and you have not delivered. I now have to painstakingly find another site and rebuild from scratch. 8 years wasted on what used to be one of the best photographer site.
  • PixstelPixstel Member Posts: 40
    Found the same ... you can't find any images with a Google search, which for me, renders the whole thing pointless.

OK lesson learned. I moved here from a custom built site, because I wanted to spend less time coding and more time on the photography. Back to the drawing board - I am going to build my own site again. At least I won't have to worry about impact on my Google ranking, since Zenfolio has effectively zeroed that.

I was considering moving to another dedicated hosting site, but my experience here makes me wonder if any of them are really any different. What looks good now (as Zenfolio did) could change in 6 months time.

Bottom line - if you want something done right, do it yourself.