Need Immediate Answers? Check out our SUPPORT CENTER or CONTACT OUR SUPPORT TEAM

Move my domain? SEO question...

I've been with ZF for many many years. My current site URL is - http://photography.karenengel.com

It didn't used to be this subdomain - but at one point I had the misguided idea to break out my commercial work as a separate entity on my main (old ZF) domain (which is a website of my own custom design) - www.karenengelphotography.com - and move the family/event type of work to the subdomain.

Now I'm regretting it. It's too much work to constantly change/refresh images on a custom website - and the display IQ is often victim to the slideshow/gallery builder software. A subdomain is also harder for people/customers to understand and certainly doesn't "roll off the tongue".

So the question for SEO experts is - If I reset my ZF site to my main domain - will I trash all the years of being "found" under the subdomain and "lose my place" in searches? I'm not paying for ad services right now - but do get client calls directly from them finding us - so it seems as if we're gaining traffic as is. OTOH - I do think that search engines don't just "archive" URLS, but also stay on top of changes, move and grow. A little paid advertising/rating boost might also help them light up a bit for a URL relocation as well.

My question for web design experts is - If I move my ZF site to the main domain - can I put a redirect on the subdomain - or will the search engines get pissed off at me and drop out? I could alternatively leave a splash/landing page there - maybe...

Or I can just leave things as is - if it is too destructive at this point. Just not sure. Any input would be appreciated.