Need Immediate Answers? Check out our SUPPORT CENTER or CONTACT OUR SUPPORT TEAM

Buying a camera for my Sister who is a beginner.

KazzaKazza Member Posts: 19
I am stuck between going for the Canon EOS 1200D 18MP Digital SLR Camera (Black) with 18-55mm and 55-250mm IS II Lens,8GB card and the Nikon D3200 24.2 MP Digital SLR Camera (Black) with AF-S 18-55mm VR II Kit Lens, 8GB Memory Card, DSLR. What do you think i should go for. My younger sister is a beginner.

Comments

• AllisonZenAllisonZen Administrator Posts: 238
    What a nice gift!

I am a Canon user myself, so I would naturally say Canon :smile:

What type of gear do you use? I would always suggest choosing the same brand that you use so that you two can share lenses or speedlights.

In my experience, it's very hard to switch between the two. Canon's play button and Nikon's delete button are in similar locations so once motor memory kicks in, it would be extremely difficult to learn new equipment.

Best of luck to your sister as she begins learning this new art form!
  • KazzaKazza Member Posts: 19

What a nice gift!

What type of gear do you use? I would always suggest choosing the same brand that you use so that you two can share lenses or speedlights.

In my experience, it's very hard to switch between the two. Canon's play button and Nikon's delete button are in similar locations so once motor memory kicks in, it would be extremely difficult to learn new equipment.

Thanks a lot Allison. You do make a relevant point about sharing the lenses and speedlights.

What a nice gift!

Allison...if i may ask what Canon Camera do you use?
    I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark II :smile:
    Thanks..are you satisfied? Would you recommend this for a beginner?
    I absolutely love my Mark II. I will upgrade sometime in the future, but for now, it performs very well.

With the proper training, I think any beginner can learn to shoot manually on a full frame DSLR camera. Personally, I think it's better to start a beginning photographer off on a camera like this. Most cameras that are marketed for beginners have many auto-presets that may serve as a crutch to a photographer who is learning how to shoot fully manual. I studied photojournalism and I began learning on a Mark II and I wouldn't have it any other way!

They are bit pricey, but the Mark II is an older model so there are some really great prices on amazon and ebay for these models.

Best of luck to you!