Need to know. Zenfolio delivers low res versions to your customers.

www.frisco-texas.comwww.frisco-texas.com Member Posts: 58
edited November 2017 in Problem Reports
I upload 1200x1800 @300dpi as part of my standard workflow. I sell/offer 1200x1800 digital downloads to my customers. This should be sufficient for printing decent size prints. However, it has been brought to my attention, by my customers, that the downloads are 1200x1800 @72dpi. I confirmed this by downloading a customer's order today.

I checked the compression level with imagemagic and it's a Quality of 95%. In this case my original file is 1.3mb @30dpi and the delivered image is 780k @72dpi.

This is completely unacceptable to have customers complain about quality when they take the file to a third-party and it prints out horrible. My only workaround is to email them the original file.

When Zenfolio recommends the following....

http://www.zenfolio.com/us/z/help/support-center#/customer/en/portal/articles/408060-having-sufficient-image-size-for-printing

"For the best results, however, we recommend that your images are large enough to print at 250 ppi or higher."

- AND -

"There are Zenfolio branded products under the Zenfolio US and Zenfolio Europe brands.

Zenfolio US's minimum resolution requirement varies by product but most products require at least 300 ppi. Please see this page for more info."

Something needs to change, not 6-12 months from now, but immediately. Please deliver what I upload to my customers.

Comments

• Not sure of your issue but 1200x1800 at 300DPI is EXACTLY the same image and quality as 1200x1800 at 72 DPI
    See : https://neilvn.com/tangents/image-resolution-72-dpi-or-300-dpi/
  • I wish the DPI field had never been added to the JPEG spec, as just about everyone misunderstands it. It has absolutely no bearing on print quality. To figure out what DPI an image will print at, you have to divide the resolution by the physical size of the print, so your 1200x1800 image printed at 4x6 is 1200/4, which is 300 DPI (or 1800/6, which is still 300). Now take the same file and print it at 8x12, and the DPI is 150 (1200/8 = 150). Printed at 24x36 it would be 50 DPI. The "DPI" setting stored in the file has zero relevance, as you can't know the printed DPI without knowing the physical printed size.

The JPEG compression level, on the other hand, DOES affect image quality. But I'm guessing you uploaded your original file with the compression level set to 100%, and Zenfolio recompressed it at 95%. That can potentially save them a ton of disk space, but won’t have any visible effect on the image quality. You have to crank the compression factor down quite a bit before it starts becoming visible to the naked eye. Take your file and Zenfolio’s and send them off to be printed. You won’t be able to tell which is which.

When they recommend you to upload large enough to print at 250 DPI, they mean the resolution, not the stored (useless) DPI setting. So if you plan to print at 8x10, you would take 8 x 250 and 10 x 250 and get 2000x2500 as the recommended minimum width and height.

Print both files and show them to your customers. They won't be able to tell the difference. They're just throwing a hissy fit over something they don't understand.
  • AllisonZenAllisonZen Administrator Posts: 224
    Once you upload your original images into Zenfolio, we generate multiple display sizes for optimal viewing on the web. These smaller display sizes can be downloaded from the gallery level if you allow it.

However, for prints and digital products purchased through the shopping cart, we only provide the original image that was uploaded into the account.

If you see any discrepancies with image quality, please contact our support team here. They are happy to take a look!
  • PolophotoPolophoto Member Posts: 1
    I am having a similar issue. I am offering Digital Downloads to my Customers for personal use web and printing at 5MB or for Social Media 1MB. However someone has just contacted me complaining the 5MB file as advertised is of very poor quality and is only 1.5MB. Zenfolio's answer is if they are not happy with the size (well would you be if you are paying for 5MB?) I must send out full size by email, so what's the point in offering these sizes if they can't deliver. I can export the same file from Lightroom Full Size, 5MB, 3MB and 1MB so why can't Zenfolio. I wonder how many potential returning customers I have lost over the years who haven't complained but have gone elsewhere? COMPLETELY UNNACCEPTABLE.
    Hi there,

Digital Downloads are available to sell in various pixel counts, commonly referred to as Megapixels. Megapixels are calculated by multiplying the number of horizontal pixels by the number of vertical pixels.

Keep in mind that a megapixel does not necessarily equate to a megabyte of data. For instance, lighter/brighter areas in an image will record more data than darker or underexposed areas. This is why the same number of megapixels will produce different numbers of megabytes in different circumstances.

For Low Resolution Downloads (1 Megapixel), here are the following sizes for common ratios:
    3:2 RATIO : 1232 x 824
    4:3 RATIO: 1160 x 872
    5:4 RATIO: 1120 x 896

For Medium Resolution Downloads (3 Megapixels), here are the following sizes for common ratios:

3:2 RATIO: 2128 x 1416
    4:3 RATIO: 2000 x 1504
    5:4 RATIO: 1936 x 1552

For High Resolution Downloads (5 Megapixels), here are the following sizes for common ratios:

3:2 RATIO: 2744 x 1832
    4:3 RATIO: 2584 x 1936
    5:4 RATIO: 2504 x 2000

I hope this clarifies!
  • www.frisco-texas.comwww.frisco-texas.com Member Posts: 58
    The statement by @AllisonZen is wrong.

"However, for prints and digital products purchased through the shopping cart, we only provide the original image that was uploaded into the account."

My original uploads are typically 1800x1200 pixels, un-sharpened, uncompressed (Quality 100), at 300ppi. What is delivered to the customer is 1800x1200 pixels, sharpened, compressed (Quality 95) at 72ppi. How is that the same as my original? It's not.
    @www.frisco-texas.com,

Please contact our Support Team regarding the discrepancies you have found. I have seen reports of this happening, however, in these cases, I have found that Apple mobile devices save images in this way by default on the Photos app. When comparing original downloads on desktop computers or Android devices, the discrepancy is not there and all original downloads should maintain the same specifications.

Our team is happy to help investigate this further for you! You can contact them here.