Need Immediate Answers? Check out our SUPPORT CENTER or CONTACT OUR SUPPORT TEAM

I am Leaving Zenfolio

It was wonderful while it lasted. Until about last July.

For 3-4 years I've been recommending Zenfolio to all and sundry and really enjoyed my experience with them. Since around last July though that trust and enjoyment has evapourated. I saw a rep at the UK's Photography Show last March and expressed concern. This year, as far as I'm aware, TheImageFile will have a stand at the show and they've recently won a prestigious award.

Returning to Zenfolio, I don't know if you'll "Reach out to me" - what a godawful expression you use - the shopping "experience" is terrible. The https thingy seems to have been ignored. This email situation is not resolved. The 7% commission on self fulfilled products when I already pay a decent subscription is rape.

I've looked at loads of other providers like Wix, Webflow, Smugmug and Shootproof (who I've used in the last few months) and various others.

TheImageFile will have my business as from next week and my subscription in March with Zenfolio will not be renewed.

I'm voting with my feet. I'm fed up. I'm off.

Comments

• I moved to squarespace last year (just keeping a basic zen package for storage and private client galleries) and in my experience you won't regret the move.
  • ESL PhotographyESL Photography Member Posts: 26
    I looked at many other packages including Squarespace and have been using Shootproof since last summer for my selling.

TheImageFile is ideal for my purposes and they don't charge a commission on self fulfilled sales (nor do Shootproof). Zenfolio, when I started a few years ago, was perfect. It's only the last year or so that I've felt they're not listening to our wishes and keep moving the goalposts re the pricing.

The silence from Zenfolio on my post speaks volumes. (Another reason I'm going.)
    Received this email a week or two ago - just proves they don't read the forum or if they do, the feedback doesn't work.

"Good day! :)

I am writing from Zenfolio Support following up on the request to cancel your account.

Sorry to hear that you are moving to another service! Do you mind if I ask which one? Is there something you are not finding on Zenfolio or feedback you would like to provide?

If you do want to give us another chance and choose to stay at your current level for one more year, I could provide a one-time 25% renewal discount. Just let me know if you’d like to take me up on that offer!

Hope to hear from you soon."
  • SophieSophie Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2018
    Too bad they are not focussing on the feedback they get! Can you please give me more information on Webflow, why do you prefer it?
    Sophie said:

...Can you please give me more information on Webflow, why do you prefer it?

I've gone with TheImageFile. If you're in the UK and can get to the Photography Show they have a stand there. Chosen it because there are very few companies that have pages designed for event photography.
  • Kevin KrowsKevin Krows United StatesMember Posts: 1,463
    I'm not leaving but will gladly take the 25% discount on my renewal. How about everyone else??
  • I'm not leaving but will gladly take the 25% discount on my renewal. How about everyone else??

Nope... I was offered the same discount but it doesn't matter how cheap they make it, it's just no longer a good product imo. I'd rather pay to have a service that does what I need.
  • SophieSophie Member Posts: 14
    That's a good reasoning @ESL Photography ! However, while I was gone, I looked more into SmugMug, and I was pretty impressed with the info I found on it! It has a lot of advantages like limitless storage, tools that might help the editing process, and marketing feature that might contribute to your visibility and attract more customers. I've heard that the customizability is not the best. Has anyone experienced that?

• Foques PhotoFoques Photo Member Posts: 47
    I came here from Smugmug. Wouldn't want to ever go back. Reality is that if you want the site that does exactly what you need/want, you have to build it yourself.
    All these services are the same, and don't listen to the user base. Smug is also more $$ for less functionality compared to Zen.
  • I came here from Smugmug. Wouldn't want to ever go back. Reality is that if you want the site that does exactly what you need/want, you have to build it yourself.
    All these services are the same, and don't listen to the user base. Smug is also more $$ for less functionality compared to Zen.

They're not all the same otherwise you wouldn't have switched, but Zenfolio is no longer the best of the bunch imo
  • Karrie PorterKarrie Porter Key West, FLMember Posts: 4
    @ESL Photography - Did you have your domain connected to Zenfolio for your actual website, or did you just use them for client galleries on the "yourname.zenfolio.com" URL? If the former, how did you handle redirecting traffic from your domain to the .zenfolio URL? Did you 301 redirect every gallery? I'm in this process of moving my site (which was on Zen, in addition to galleries) to Squarespace, and am stressing the redirects. Curious how someone else who has been through it fared.
  • Pat HendrickPat Hendrick Member Posts: 2
    A 25 percent discount on your renewal? Lucky you. They only offered me 20 percent when I complained about new signups getting 50 percent off. Frankly, that ought to apply to renewals too. When I think back to my initial months with Zenfolio, I was in contact with tech support constantly via email, chat and phone (which they're now reducing but selling as a "plus"). As time went on and I got settled into the system, I used tech support much less. Plus, as business has grown, I am providing Zenfolio with a nice income stream via the 7 percent charged on orders. With this in mind, what makes me worth LESS to Zenfolio than someone coming in new, someone who will need a lot of support to get settled in and who will require time to build sales flow? This ought to be turned around. Those of us who have been with Zenfolio for a while ought to be getting the larger renewal discounts.
  • Wow 7% fees it's a rape! Didn't realize before as was using Zenfolio just to showcase my passion but now switching slowly to make a living with it and no way I will give 7% of my hard earning to them!!!!!!
    Did switch few years ago from Smugmug as at this time Zenfolio (as starting their business) was well more attractif but as usual now well installed they think they can do whatever they want...well wait and see...And the most annoying as often loyal customers are less considered that new one...
    Time to look around before my renewal in May...
  • They are raising fees. Good lord. Nearly 10% now and that's even after the yearly fee. That's way too much. Don't they realize that they reach a point where the cost passes what it costs to have our own sites built?
  • Yep. TheImageFile looks like it blows away Zenfolio in just about every category and is most likely where I will be moving my site to. This price increase with nothing new to justify it is an absolute joke.
  • Fotocraft ImagesFotocraft Images Member Posts: 4
    I cannot see any justification for an increase of over 40% in the Zenfolio service fee plus an increase in the basic package cost.

My package renewal has gone through in the last couple of weeks, and I have a major project at the moment, so I will swallow the service fee increase for the next eleven months. However, there is no way I will renew at these cost levels.

I have already responded to the service fee by choosing not to accept online payment through Zenfolio for the photography tuition days I offer, as just cannot see value for money from putting these sales through the website.

I agree strongly with the comments above, existing customers must be the most profitable for Zenfolio, but get the worst pricing deal. The actual cost of making a sale through my Zenfolio website will now be 13.3% - service fee plus paypal costs.

Zenfolio started off as a good product at a reasonable cost. In my view it is now an OK product at a high cost, and I will be prepared to invest the time required to move to something better at a more reasonable cost when I have the time to make the move in next year's post Christmas lull.
  • UK Events.tvUK Events.tv Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking at alternative options too. The pages are very slow to load, and clients get fed up with waiting.
  • Freddie BeckwithFreddie Beckwith Member Posts: 6
    Have you all not had MAJOR issues with images loading and being served up to customers both!?!?! Every time I use or go to my site there's an issue! Three hour outage the other day... And their response is always "out engineers are looking into the issue..." Bull! They need new hardware. I am looking at going to SmugMug. It's more expensive, but seems to work more reliably. Thoughts welcome...
    HERE WE GO AGAIN!
    Capture.JPG
    3314 x 1963 - 532K
  • I'm looking to move as well. I've had a great run with Zenfolio but the constant outages and image loading issues are incredibly frustrating. It's so unprofessional, clients don't realize it's the hosting company. They just know they can't access pictures on my site. Support just sends similar emails over and over about developers looking into the issues. There's been zero accountability or explanation of future stability improvements.
  • Kevin KrowsKevin Krows United StatesMember Posts: 1,463
    Zenfolio Management -- Kill the goose and it won't lay golden eggs. Just saying.
  • It's killing me. Just got a AUD$60 credit for the stupid image previews not working and now today there seems to be an outage and nothing uploading. Check the chat...we are on holidays! No support. No system. Spending my evening looking at Shootproof, ImageCloud and Ubookr. Over Zenfolio and I have two accounts!
  • It's killing me. Just got a AUD$60 credit for the stupid image previews not working and now today there seems to be an outage and nothing uploading. Check the chat...we are on holidays! No support. No system. Spending my evening looking at Shootproof, ImageCloud and Ubookr. Over Zenfolio and I have two accounts!

Look into TheImageFile.com ! I just made the switch and it's amazing! Has all of the functionality that Zenfolio has and so much more. Their support is lightning fast too
    This image rendering delay bullshit is happening again!
  • Shootproof looks good. Not happy with the commission aspect of download sales from my site, twice I have had lengthy slow or no uploads this year for week or longer and it is cheaper and NO commission. I will check out TheImageFile.com as well.