Need Immediate Answers? Check out our SUPPORT CENTER or CONTACT OUR SUPPORT TEAM

Noindexing blog archive pages

I noticed that I have blog post archive pages [blog/2016/5 as an example] that are being indexed by Google. I would prefer that these pages not be indexed. Since they are not using URL parameters, I cannot block them using the URL parameter tool in Search Console.

Aside from simply applying a NOINDEX tag to each of these pages, is there another way to prevent them from being indexed?

If I remove blog archive lists, does that prevent them from being indexed?
Checkout my site and blog for photography tips, tricks, and ideas!
Pennington Professional Photography

Comments

• SethZenSethZen Moderator Posts: 4
    Hi Christi,
    If a webpage is public and on the web, the Search Engines will index them. In order to restrict specific pages, you would need to manually block each page from being indexed. Due to the nature of a Blog, we do not have the 'Allow indexing by search engines" checkbox as we do for Custom Pages. I tested and unfortunately just not having the blogs linked in the Blog Archive List will not keep them from getting crawled and indexed by Google.
    Adding a No Index tag ( ) to the source code of the blog posts that you do not want indexed anymore, and then having Google reindex the site, should keep those blog posts from being brought up in results.
    Please reach out to our support team if you have any other questions.
  • Its not the blog posts I want noindexed, its the blog archive pages.

For example, website.com/blog/2019/5

I have archive pages going all the way back to 2014.

More examples,

blog/2014/5
    blog/2014/6

etc

The actual blog posts are fine, its just the archive pages that I dont care to be searched. They are considered thin content and I dont want them searchable.

Thanks for the help
    Checkout my site and blog for photography tips, tricks, and ideas!
    Pennington Professional Photography