Can't add a Group to Featured Galleries?

On my home page, the "featured" section is called "featured galleries and collections." I have a group that I'd like to add there, and I can't find a way to do it. Am I missing it? Or is it not there?

Thanks for any assistance. :)

Comments

• YL.YL. Member Posts: 155
    check this:
     http://fotkis.zenfolio.com/p157753258/?photo=888733284
    hope that makes sense
  • MonteMamaMonteMama Member Posts: 27
    Maybe I should explain what I'm trying to do...

On my home page, I want to have a folder called something like "Photos by Date" so that visitors to my page can go there and find a listing of galleries that would be listed by date/event - so the parent folder would be

- photos by date

and then within that, something like

- Beach photos March2008
    - XYZ Park photos February2008
    - New Year's Day photos

Additionally I want to have folders for photos by category, i.e. Children, Animals, Landscape.

I thought I could accomplish this by creating a Group for the Photos by Date - but I can't add the Group to the Featured section. And I can add all the photos to a Collection, but it doesn't keep the photos separated into individual galleries.

What am I missing? Can I do this?

Thanks so much for any help.
  • MBolognesiMBolognesi Member Posts: 177
    You can't add a group to the featured section. Only collections and galleries.
    [quote user="YL."]check this:
     http://fotkis.zenfolio.com/p157753258/?photo=888733284
    hope that makes sense[/quote] Thanks for the screen shot. Neat seeing the Russian there, too. I think we cross-posted - problem is that option doesn't appear for groups. 
    [quote user="MonteMama"]
    Thanks for the screen shot. Neat seeing the Russian there, too. I think we cross-posted - problem is that option doesn't appear for groups. 
    [/quote]
    oh, I see...
    it was the question about collections the time I answered :)
    [quote user="YL."]oh, I see...
    it was the question about collections the time I answered :)[/quote]  I mis-typed at first. [:$] Maybe I could get around this if there was a way to show more than 5 folders under "recently added"? I am at a loss as to how to get my home page to look how I want it.  
    [quote user="MonteMama"]Maybe I could get around this if there was a way to show more than 5 folders under "recently added"?[/quote] By Zenfolio design the number of items shown in recently added and featured is not fixed but rather variable and depend on the viewers' screen resolutions. E.g.  on my laptop with 1680x1050 display I can see up to 14 items in featured and up to 7 in recently added. Good thing or bad, that saving us from horizontal scroll bars, which look awful and don't help site navigation at all.
  • MBolognesiMBolognesi Member Posts: 177
    I think they have implemented it really well and makes ZF stand out from many other sites. The site always look neat and sleek no matter what resolution you are using.  
    [quote user="MBolognesi"]I think they have implemented it really well and makes ZF stand out from many other sites. The site always look neat and sleek no matter what resolution you are using.   [/quote] I absolutely agree, I love ZF so far (switching from Flickr) and think it looks great and has lots of terrific features. I'd still like to be able to add a Group under Featured though!  
     I'd like to bump this to say that I still would very much like to be able to list a Group under Featured. Please?
  • ZumbariZumbari Member Posts: 98
    How do you want your homepage to look? ?Maybe a work-around would be to not use "Featured" and "Recently added" at all--just put the folders at the top of the "All Photographs" section.?Bart?
    [quote user="Zumbari"]How do you want your homepage to look?  Maybe a work-around would be to not use "Featured" and "Recently added" at all--just put the folders at the top of the "All Photographs" section. [/quote] I have my personal/family photos organized by year/month, where the year is a group, and the month is a group. Within those groups I create one gallery that has all the images from that month, and then from those galleries I create collections for an individual month. http://montemama.zenfolio.com/f330101703So it's like: 2009 (group)
        January (group)
              January - all images (gallery)
              Jonas's birthday (collection)
              conservatory visit (collection)What I'd like to do is add the 2009 group to my home page, so that family/friends can easily get to all my photos from there. Right now I've told them to bookmark the 2009 landing page, but for new folks, it would be nice to just direct them to my home page and have them be able to get wherever they want from there.   ETA: I really don't want to display ALL PHOTOGRAPHS  on my home page. I have too many!
  • firedogfiredog Member Posts: 257
    Can this happen? I am having to create Collections and adding photos to them from these groups to get people to everything. I want to hide "All Photographs" because I don't want everyone to see everything.
    In my short time of searching the forums, this request goes back at least a year. So far, I have not found a response from ZF.
  • kthompsonkthompson Member Posts: 2,473
    Montemama, firedog and all...,
    Adding groups to 'featured' and possibly 'recent' has been often requested.  I honestly don't know where it is in the process right now however.
    We should be seeing new home page layouts and page customizations coming by end of the year (according to this post by Vitas and assuming everything stays on schedule).
    Hopefully something in those will help you put together the page and navigation you want.  :)
  • roarroar Member Posts: 86
    [quote user="Kevin Thompson"]
    Montemama, firedog and all...,
    Adding groups to 'featured' and possibly 'recent' has been often requested.  I honestly don't know where it is in the process right now however.
    We should be seeing new home page layouts and page customizations coming by end of the year (according to this post by Vitas and assuming everything stays on schedule).
    Hopefully something in those will help you put together the page and navigation you want.  :)

[/quote]

Well, we've the new features now and I am loving it!   Massive change and most welcome.  
    Does anyone know if this topic was addressed and it is now possible to add groups to "featured"?   It would certainly make my life easier, but I haven't found a way yet.   I am however, still finding new ways of doing things, so I may have missed it!
    The more I discover, the better it gets!

• tpaztpaz Member Posts: 2
    Any progress on this?
    I need this ability as well.   
    Thanks,
    -tpaz

• Obi-WanObi-Wan Member Posts: 8
    I'd definitely like to request this as well.  When I shoot an event, I like to create a group for the event and then galleries in that group for different segments of the event.  I'd like to add just the main group to my featured list so it appears on my home page rather than having to add each individual gallery for the event to my home page.

This feature was first requested over a year and a half ago.  It can't possibly be that hard.  What's the hold up?
  • allicatallicat Member Posts: 8
    I want it too....  It's almost a year later now, any chance this feature will be added soon?
  • eyeshuttertothinkeyeshuttertothink Member Posts: 97
    It's been another year & still no response from Zenfolio admin on this issue.  Is this something that can/will be done?  

• dbviragodbvirago Member Posts: 4
    OK, I am requesting this also. As a side, what is the purpose of groups? I understand it is to group galleries together, but if you can't put the group in featured, how do you give clients access to it? Putting galleries in a group and then adding them separately to featured seems pointless.

• Ditto... Need to add this feature