ApertureToZenfolio: Official Support Thread

This is the thread to collect ApertureToZenfolio support issues.

Comments

• JimedJimed Alvord, TexasMember Posts: 65
    Thanks for the very handy plugin and speedy update for Aperture 3.  I have not tried the new version on A3 but when using the old version and A2 ... If the export failed or hung there was no way to abort the task without hanging Aperture requiring a force quit.  Does that still occur?
    Jim Edmondson
    Optical Harmonics
  • chickenloopsterchickenloopster Member Posts: 7
    The plugin works OK in A3 as far as the export non-quit issue is concerned. You can also see the upload progress in the task manager (click on the actual "exporting..." message in the lower left hand corner next to the brushes).
    However, there is a problem with the actual export settings. This is not a plugin failure but seems to be an Aperture 3 bug acording to the below message which I found on the ubermind.com site

Why are my image export settings not honored when using the plug-in in Aperture 3?

There is a bug in Aperture 3 that causes plug-ins to specify the last used preset in Aperture's export dialogue instead of the one you choose when in the export plug-in module. A suggested workaround is to export an image normally using the required preset in Aperture, then use the plug-in for that setting chosen previously.
  • dmholmesdmholmes Member Posts: 117
    The export bug in A3 does indeed exist. I don't have A3, can anybody confirm whether the 3.0.2 update fixes that issue?
  • chickenloopsterchickenloopster Member Posts: 7
    I have 3.0.2 and still the same problem. It's not such a big deal though. All you need to do before using the plugin is to right-click on any image, select export/version, select the setting you want and then just close the version export dialog. You don't actually need to export a version.
    Not ideal but a small work around 

PS - Funny, I just realised how we like to take pictures of ourselves in the mirror and use them as avatars :-) 
    [quote user="chickenloopster"]
    PS - Funny, I just realised how we like to take pictures of ourselves in the mirror and use them as avatars :-) 

[/quote]
    Yes we are a funny bunch. Mine is actually not from a mirror, but from the camera built-in to the iMac.
  • stuartpearcestuartpearce Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem were after the images have been exported the plugin does not seem to quit. The exporting circle keeps spinning down the bottom of the screen. If I click on it, the activity window opens up but there is nothing in it. The other thing is that if I try to launch another export it does not work as it seems to think the first one has not finished.
    Any ideas?
  • vpasqvpasq Member Posts: 81
    I downloaded the latest version 0.19 and placed it in the proper plug-in folder, but when I try to use it in Aperture 3, it says it is "32bit" not 64 like it is supposed to be.  All my other 64 bit apps, plug-ins all run in 64 bit.  What am I doing wrong???????
    [quote user="stuartpearce"]
    I have a problem were after the images have been exported the plugin does not seem to quit. The exporting circle keeps spinning down the bottom of the screen. If I click on it, the activity window opens up but there is nothing in it. The other thing is that if I try to launch another export it does not work as it seems to think the first one has not finished.
    Any ideas?

[/quote]
    stuartpearce, I haven't seen that issue before. Does it happen every time?

[quote user="vpasq"]
    I downloaded the latest version 0.19 and placed it in the proper plug-in folder, but when I try to use it in Aperture 3, it says it is "32bit" not 64 like it is supposed to be.  All my other 64 bit apps, plug-ins all run in 64 bit.  What am I doing wrong???????

[/quote]
    vpasq, Aperture is still finding an old version of the plugin. Remove any ApertureToZenfolio plugins, restart Aperture to make sure it doesn't see the plugin. Then install the plugin.

• vpasqvpasq Member Posts: 81
    You were absolutely correct!!!!  I found it, replaced it with the newest version and IT WORKS!!!! Thanks so much for your help and the plugin.
  • I am running Aperture 3.0.3 on Mac Pro, 2.66 Ghz, 14 Gig Ram and running Snow Leopard 10.6.3.  I installed AperturetoZenfolio  v.19 yesterday and it worked fine.  Today it will connect to he Zenfolio Account, but will not create a new folder and export the pictures to Zenfolio.  I have re-booted and even reset the PRAM on my machine and it will not work.  Just sits there.  So I downloaded it again, removed the old file and replaced it with the newly downloaded file, Restarted Aperture and it still does not work. 
    Any suggestions?
  • Update to my post:  I just created the gallery in Zenfolio manually, then went back to Aperture.  I selected the gallery in the Export Plugin and it did work.  The issue seems to be in the Plugin creating the gallery in Zenfolio from Aperture.  The export feature is not broke, just the part that makes a new gallery out of Aperture to Zenfolio.

Thanks, Joe
  • ladybug222ladybug222 Member Posts: 5
    Hi-
    My aperture to zenfolio plugin never really worked well to begin with.  Now that I have Ap3, I'm excited to see if the 64-bit plugin works for me.  Although, when I downloaded the new plugin, I get a box that says: "Safari can’t open the file “ApertureToZenfolio-1.ApertureExport” because no available application can open it."  Would you be able to shed some light on this for me?  I'm hoping this is one of the last things I have to fix with aperture 3.  I've had some other funky things happen.  Make sure everyone does the software update.  That helped a lot of my issues.  I also changed it back to 32 bit to use the old aperture to zenfolio plugin, but with no luck.  It just seems to get stuck right before uploading.  
    Thanks for your help.
    ladybug222,
    Your Safari is set to automatically open "safe" files that have been downloaded. So the download is being unzipped for you. The ApertureToZenfolio.ApertureExport file is the plugin, just follow the instructions regarding where to place it.
  • deirdreadeledeirdreadele Member Posts: 129
    I am still having problems with Aperture 2. The plugin never has worked. It keeps creating an empty folder within Aperture and then nothing happens. I've tried just about everything including going into Library, etc., as was suggested.
    I'm using Lightroom now, I can upload perfectly to ZF with no problems. I would like to upload my Aperture images to ZF with the metadata, keywords, etc.
    Please help, this has been beyond frustrating...[^o)]
    I have yet to get an answer, can someone, ANYONE please help me please?
    Thanks....[8o|]
  • cricalixcricalix Member Posts: 354
    As far as I know, the Aperture plugin is a third-party tool, so you're at the mercy of someone who's had the problem responding, or the author seeing your post (since he says to please not contact him directly).  Alas, I use Jeff's Lr plugin, so I can't help you :(
  • ladybug222ladybug222 Member Posts: 5
    I'll respond, but not to your liking.  I always had the same trouble.  So my workaround was to drag all the images to iphoto and upload from there.  I Never had any issues with the iphoto plug in.  So, that was my way of getting it to work.  I've upgraded to Aperture 3 and the new plug-in works fine.  It's actually nice to have it work in the software that I'm using.

Good Luck
    cricalix: I was told that this would be the only place to post about this and I never got a response.
    I've since switched to LR2(my machine lacks the Intel for LR3) and that plugin works great.
    Ladybug: I'm going to have to do that. The plugin for iPhoto does work great.
    Thanks everyone, sorry about being frusterated :) The person who created the plugin for Aperture should check in once in a while....
    Hi Deirdre, can you please explain your issue in more detail? I recall somebody having a seemingly similar issue quite a while back, a folder created on export, but don't recall what the problem was in that case.
    I use LR also, just curious why you are using both Aperture and LR?
    Thanks,
    David
    Hi and thank you!
    I'm using LR because I found it a better fit for my workflow. So I now want to upload my Aperture images to Zen as a way to store them. After that is finished I won't be using Aperture anymore and I plan on uninstalling it.
    I saw the post a while back about the same issue, but once I completed the steps I was still having the same problems.
    I would start the export plugin, and it would make an empty folder and then do nothing. I'm using version 2.1.4. I tried creating a Gallery first on Zen and export it to that through the plugin, and I have tried creating a Gallery with the plugin and the same thing happened too.
    As you can see I'm logged in and yet my Home is not active. I checked everything and my information is correct.
    Deirdre, I believe the problem is you are logging in with your email address instead of username. Can you verify? If so you are not really logged in as far as the plugin is concerned. There is a small difference in how the Zen API receives and provides user names. In the latest version of the plugin you can login with either.
    I switched to LR shortly after it was released, works better for me also. That's why I was asking.
    Thanks,

David
    YESSS!!!!!!!!
    Finally! It works!
    Thank you!!!!! :D :D
  • kennedymakennedyma Member Posts: 6
    It's broken now.
    Only uploads one photo and then hangs.
    I have verified a communication issue with Zen servers. Waiting on their response.
  • tpf1952tpf1952 Member Posts: 3
    I'm experiencing the same event as Kennyma: one picture loads, then the remainder of the upload stalls. Only way to get pix uploaded is to bypass Aperture entirely. Been using David H's plug-ins with Aperture 2 and 3 since Aperture first came on the market. No problems, until last evening, 29 August.
    Bummer.
    Any help greatly appreciated. I dig Aperture; really like David's plug-in.
    Thanks,
    Tom
  • blazarusblazarus Member Posts: 22
    Hi David,
    Have they responded to the server issue. Is their a fix.
    Regards,
    Bruce
  • vitasvitas Member, Administrator Posts: 1,364
    The Aperture plug-in has been fixed. Thank you for reporting the problem to us.
    Appears to be working now, not sure what was changed.
  • lollipoplollipop Member Posts: 1
    Hi, my plug-in in A3 stopped working and did not restart after the changes you have made... I try to export as I used to and it doesn't do anything. when I cancel and try again the plug-in is disabled. Any ideas what might be causing this? Thanks!