How do I disable Quick Shop?

Futureal PhotographyFutureal Photography Member Posts: 2
edited May 16 in Customizing Your Site
Hi, how can I either (a) disable the Quick Shop or (b) have the "Buy" button go to the "All Products" page? I'm using the MPix integration for different photo stock and various framing options, and "Buy" going directly to "Quick Shop" with no indication of the variety of other options is kind of a big issue.

First image is "Quick Shop". Second image are the options available from the full product list, after picking a size.

I'd rather have that flow and entirely eliminate the Quick Shop.

Thanks,
Rob

Comments

• ChessZenChessZen Administrator Posts: 488
    Unfortunately, it is not possible to disable the Quick Shop in the New Shopping Experience.

However, I've passed your feedback on about this to our developers for their consideration as they plan changes to the New Shopping Experience.
  • Futureal PhotographyFutureal Photography Member Posts: 2
    Hi ChessZen,

Thanks for the response. I know the idea is to be able to push the ability to sell "simple products", but many photography items are far from "simple products", and without the ability to build them (size, photo stock, frame, mounting, etc), it's not helpful.

On that note, Laura A in support sent me the following information which will hopefully be helpful to others in the same boat:

There are two parts of the quick shop that might be useful to you for selling features

- The possibility to add your own Featured products as well as Packages as Featured products in the quick shop page

Take a look at how this looks in this demo:
    http://www.whitegoldphotography.com/shop-demo

- The Shop Home page uses your Photo and it displays all products (not only prints) in big thumbnails:
    http://www.whitegoldphotography.com/shop/home?token=6dbSyr7kGUuWp1Ak1qfEzw~~

The functionality in question is available by using the methods used for "All Products" -> "Prints" -> "(Size selection)"/"See More"
  • PixstelPixstel Member Posts: 33
    I agree. While I can see Quick Shop might suit some, we're not all the same, and I think Zenfolio should respect that we know our own clients best. My main customers are editorial and commercial, and are not looking to but prints etc., nor do I want to appear to be "pushing products". Surely whether or not to have a "quick shop" should be an option.
    Just to clarify, if you're not selling prints and don't want to push your clients to purchase products, you can disable selling from your galleries (or for just specific galleries).

When selling is disabled in a gallery, the Quick Shop page will not appear.

This also applies if selling is already disabled in the gallery. The Quick Shop page will not appear in those galleries either.

Click here for how to disable purchasing from a gallery.
    But I DO want to sell downloads, with prints as an "extra". What I don't want is to have this shoved in my clients face. More importantly, it appears that with quick shop we loose the ability to display keywords along with our photos (or at least I can't find a way of doing it). For me, the SEO benefits of having keywords and categories on the photo page far outweigh any quick shop benefits. The keyword links also help customers find related images.
    Thank you for your feedback on the Quick Shop. The Quick Shop is new and is still evolving, so there are definitely more improvements that will be made to allow it to work for more users.

To make sure that your ideas are taken into consideration as updates are made to the Quick Shop, please post your ideas on our uservoice forum.
  • Barbara JonesBarbara Jones Member Posts: 17
    I thought the New Shopping Experience was mandatory this Month, June ? I see many Zennies still not using it ? I prefer the old system.
    The New Shopping Experience will indeed be mandatory in mid June.

Thanks for your feedback on the New Shopping Experience. So that we can improve on the it, please let us know how the New Shopping Experience can be improved for your by posting your ideas in our uservoice forum - http://zenfolio.uservoice.com/forums/75695

The New Shopping Experience will be constantly improved and all ideas posted in the uservoice forum will be taken into considerations as the improvements are made.
  • ChessZen said:

Thank you for your feedback on the Quick Shop. The Quick Shop is new and is still evolving, so there are definitely more improvements that will be made to allow it to work for more users.

Wouldn't it have been better to make sure it worked for your users before forcing it upon us? It's so bad that I'll be moving my site to Square space as soon as I have the time to devote to a new site.
  • gnagelgnagel Orland Park, ILMember Posts: 100
    I would like for my website visitors to be able to purchase prints (as they always have), but I don't like the way that the Quick Shop presents my work. At first, the price lists appear in a very large format...so I disabled that view. But, it I make images available for sale, whenever a viewer clicks on a thumbnail to view a photo, the image looks as if it is part of a slideshow--and the formatting and template selections that I've made to all of my galleries and collections over the years disappears. Instead, the photo appears with my caption over the image...no breadcrumbs for the viewer to quickly navigate to the underlying gallery supporting a collection...basically the format is very cheap and unprofessional looking.

So, I asked about how I can achieve the same look I've had in the past and still offer my work for sale. The response that I received is that I can't do it...and the suggestion was that I maintain parallel galleries and collections: one with the opportunity for viewers to purchase prints and one without. Is this some kind of joke? What if the viewer is looking at my pictures in the collection without the ability to purchase prints? How do they then navigate to the purchase option?

Very disappointing...
    Glenn
  • gnagel said:

Is this some kind of joke?

It is a joke.

I was told I could keep it looking how I wanted if I removed the photos from sale!

gnagel said:

Is this some kind of joke?

It is a joke.

I was told I could keep it looking how I wanted if I removed the photos from sale!
    That's exactly what I was told. Then I was told that another solution was to create parallel galleries, collections and groups...one with photos for sale and one without. Does that make sense?

Glenn
  • AllisonZenAllisonZen Administrator Posts: 55
    There are now 3 different shopping views.

- Quick Shop + Shop Pages
    - Quick Shop Only
    - Shop Pages Only

You can choose which shopping experience you would like to offer by going to the Gallery Thumbnails page in Customize Website View. Then, click OPTIONS at the top. In the "Shopping Setup" tab, choose your preferred shopping option.

For more information, click here

• There are now 3 different shopping views.

- Quick Shop Only
    - Shop Pages Only

You can choose which shopping experience you would like to offer by going to the Gallery Thumbnails page in Customize Website View. Then, click OPTIONS at the top. In the "Shopping Setup" tab, choose your preferred shopping option.

So I see, but what we won't have once it is compulsory, is the control over how it looks that we currently have. We'll be stuck with what Zenfolio have picked (lime green 'buy' button anyone?)... that's a big drawback to the 'new shopping experience', I haven't found any improvements as yet.

There are now 3 different shopping views.

- Quick Shop Only
    - Shop Pages Only

No matter which of the three I choose, I still can't get the website to display my formatting. It transitions to the slideshow look...no breadcrumbs, caption on top of image, etc.

Please add a fourth display option...which displays a Buy button but leaves everything else alone.

Thanks,
    Glenn
  • tulatoptulatop Member Posts: 22
    Bye, Zenfolio. This latest change without choice is the last straw. Let's see how things are going over at Squarespace...
  • Motorsport in the UKMotorsport in the UK Member Posts: 24
    Can you hear YOUR CUSTOMERS Zenfolio ????????????????????????????
  • Red Feather ImagesRed Feather Images Member Posts: 1
    I agree with Ms. Jones' preference for the old system. Feeling that the appearance of my portfolio has been cheapened, I will be looking for another provider.
    10 days since the last comment from Zenfolio. Clearly have things more important than their customers to deal with. Had a look at the suggestions page. I see that there is only one suggestion for an improved shopping system in the 150 or so I checked. In terms of votes, it ranked 25th (160), while requests garnering thousands of votes are ignored.
  • If you are listening, why not just make it optional Zenfolio?
    Thank you all for your feedback regarding the Quick Shop. Your feelings about making the Quick Shop optional has been passed on to our developers for their consideration.
    That's great ... but you are going to need to come up with a response very quickly. I and others are actively looking at alternatives - the clock is ticking. Unless we get an assurance of action very soon, it will be too late, and once we're gone we won't be back - nor will potential new customers who ask as in person or various photography forums for recommendations for hosting services
    It's already too late in my case, Pixstel. I don't agree with Zen's business model at all. They seem to be catering toward the high-volume professional almost to the exclusion of people like me who have a passion for photography but don't possess the financial imperative the pros have. Their practice has been to rattle the cage and hope that so few of us squawk that they can drag their feet on moderating or (in the rarest cases) undoing their latest pseudo-improvement. It started with the fundamental change to the mobile app that sacrificed functionality for aesthetics (really? I have to log in every time even when I'm offline? Really? Altering the caption completely ruins the paragraph formatting?) and then the switch to the silly "dashboard"...and now we have the mandatory Quick Shop experience that looks at all the time and effort we've put into customizing 'our' websites and says, "Eh. Oh well. Take this instead and like it..."

Guess what? We're now two straws or more beyond the broken camel, and with hosts like Smugmug and Squarespace out there (both of whom I now have active accounts with as I contemplate which suits my needs better), there's no reason to stick around here anymore. Zen, you will not get any more of my money once my subscription expires (sooner if there's a prorated early cancellation clause), and I regret having recommended you to other photographers in the past.

That will never happen again.
  • tulatop said:

It's already too late in my case

Same here, I've put off moving my site because I was too busy but it's too important to do nothing. I've started a trial with squarespace and my site already looks better, once it's finished I'll be cancelling or maybe downgrading my zenfolio site to the basic plan to use for client galleries.
  • ampmphotosampmphotos Annapolis, MDMember Posts: 9
    I will be checking out Squarespace. I dread the thought of having to move my site and all that it involves. It would be so simple (one would think) to revert to a look and feel Zen's customers liked. Don't they have a backup of their previous code? I mean jeez ....
    It'll take a little labor and time, but it looks like SmugMug's interface is easy enough to learn that it won't take too long to migrate my portfolio there until I can wrap my head around Squarespace. Thankfully I had a Phanfare subscription that migrated over to SmugMug when they were bought out. Grateful my relationship with Zenfolio will be coming to an end sooner rather than later.
  • Andrew NetherwoodAndrew Netherwood Member Posts: 1
    Same as the others here. Something I don't want and can't switch off.
    Really irritating that I switch off the Quickshop in settings but site just ignores it and the horrible and intrusive sidebar comes up on the individual image page.

Stop taking away screen real estate from the image. The buy button should be there but this sidebar looks like a crude attempt to bludgeon people into buying and is more likely to put people off.

How do I permanently remove it from my site?

(If you REALLY think you must push it on us, at least have it as a thin strip on the side that flys out when and ONLY when it is hovered on, and removes itself when it loses focus.)

• How do I permanently remove it from my site?

You can't unless you remove your photos from sale... which kind of defeats the object